I Forge Iron

Rotary block

Judson Yaggy

45 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Core blocks for making holes were often tapered to allow them to be removed from the core moulds. Just like sand castings usually have a draft angle. So that may not indicate anything but how they were manufactured.

I agree..  But???? 

I would expect holes in a swage block to be tapered as a side effect of the manufacturing process and not due to the need to be  extruding stock through them. (I've run into a bunch of far out explanations for things that were artifacts of typical manufacturing processes---including people telling me that the flash line on dropforged items was there to make them look like they had been cast---and vice versa!---different people.) 

16 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I would expect holes in a swage block to be tapered as a side effect of the manufacturing process and not due to the need to be  extruding stock through them. (I've run into a bunch of far out explanations for things that were artifacts of typical manufacturing processes---including people telling me that the flash line on dropforged items was there to make them look like they had been cast---and vice versa!---different people.) 

Nice..  I wouldn't doubt it..  but that's only if they used cores with a taper like you mentioned..

I've seen cores that were not tapered.  Used in pipes, manifolds covers,etc etc,  most cast tuyere assemblies don't have tapers.. Used to spend time at a foundry.  Really neat what they did...

Like I said just passing along the info.  Do what you will with it..

As with any of this stuff talking about what they did 200 or 100 years ago is mainly speculation. Like today a lot of information can be left out if it's someone's trade secret....

Even articles in print were someone's experiences they shared.. yup wrote in to share..

Facts or stories on how someone does something successfully or not. Those old journals are filled with tidbits.

What do you suppose the through holes are for then? Tapered or not...   for shaping ladies? Holding bars etc etc..   sure to all the above..

Maybe you have something better than the story I shared..

Maybe the taper was part of the design right from the beginning!  ever think about that...

It's all good... :)

Maybe some day when I have free time I'll investigate it further.  But I doubt it as I just get busier and busier all the time....

Still fun to think about..  wish I still had that bar..  it was really neat looking..

It's just kind of funny..  its really irrelevant.. As pointed out..  Just a story like many others pulled out of memory read over 2 decades ago..

Who's to say..  Maybe the guy was really onto something..

As I mention before .  I had no mentors or the internet.  I learned by doing and doing what they wrote about in those old journals..

The stuff I learned and perfected never let me down. Whether someone see it as possible not...