I Forge Iron

I found a shop in my in-laws barn

I've wanted to work with metal for many years now but have never had a place or the money to get the materials needed for a shop. I've always bounced around apartments and even after buying a house, I didn't have a large enough place to work metal. However, we've been staying with my in-laws while looking for a new house since mine had already sold. On the property, there is a large pole barn, loaded to the brim with old furniture and random metal, and a large shop where my FIL operated a small engine repair shop in. I started doing some small woodworking projects in the shop and while digging around in the barn, I found a lot of old blacksmith equipment.

So far, I've found three anvils: a 119 lbs Sheffield, one unmarked anvil around 96 lbs, and a smaller 70~ lbs anvil, several cross, straight, and ball peen hammers, and FOUR leg vises, the heaviest weighing in around 90+ lbs.

Great, now all I need is something to heat the metal in. Did I mention the pile of old brake rotors, drums, rims, and assortment of scrap metal brackets and pipes? How about the 90 amp flux-wire welder in the shop? A couple days later, I now have taught myself some ugly and rudimentary welding and managed to construct a workable (still needs refining) forge out of a old rim and truck rotor. I'm still in the process of making a stand for the leg vise and trying to shape together some tongs out of a couple segments of the hollow pipe. 

To date, I've worked three fires in my forge and still learning how to control the fire temp and how to heat the parts of the metal I need to work on. I still need to clear out more of the barn, as I'm currently working in a space of about 8' by 10'.

(I'll post pictures of everything I found in a couple days when I can get back out to the barn.)

28 minutes ago, Heelerau said:

Part of the fun is thinking outside the box and using what you have access to to make up a smithy, good luck you will eventually find a nice forge or you will finish up making one !!

I'm currently looking at a couple homemade propane/gas forges as well. I originally used a HUGE rim from an old semi or similar sized truck. After posting a picture, it seemed likely that it was simply too big to manage a forge fire in. I dropped an old truck rotor from my diesel truck on top of the 2" exhaust pipe acting as my air inlet. The only thing I want to do from there is cut out two slots on the side of the rim so my work pieces can sit horizontal rather than sticking out upwards. If you couldn't tell, the vast majority of the scrap I have available is from vehicles. The vise stand will be made using a rim as the base, 2" piping as the support beams with metal brackets running between them, and a smaller brake rotor on top that the vise brace oles already match up to.

As far as the shop goes, I gotta move a pallet with an old engine from some kind of farm equipment on back another 15' or so. All in all, I'd say I'm blessed to have all this available space/equipment at my disposal for free.

I think you are right when you say blessed.  With that mindset, it is amazing how your surroundings start looking more like possibilities and less like impediments.  With some heat, a hammer, and a good spirit things change for the better.  All the best on your journey!