I Forge Iron

Setting up an Idle Circuit !

Scrambler82

Hello to all,

I will be setting up an idle circuit on my new Fore, when it gets here, and I have been reading about them on the Site.

The thing I haven't read about is the size of the piping/tubing that should be used for both the Idle Circuit and the full feed portion of he Gas Supply !

I see, what looks like, 1/4" brass pipe being used for the main gas supply line and a 1/4" Tubing is used on the Idler Circuit; will these sizes work or is there a better size ?

Thanks for your time to read and give your opinion !

Ltr

6 minutes ago, Frosty said:

It's the valving that determines how much gas flows not the plumbing. 

Frosty The Lucky.

Thanks for responding Frosty.

Are we talking 1/4" valves and 1/4" pipe, is that what you are referencing ?

Is there a norm on the main pipe size and the idle circuit or is there a way to determine the flow rate of the burners vs feed pipe size OR is this going too far in determining the correct pipe sizing ?

Also, what is the spacing usually used to mount the piping from the burner body ?

Idle circuit on left, needle valve controls gas flow. On this setup idle circuit runs at about 1.5 to 2 psi. Just enough so the burners dont go out, forge temp drops off to red color but comes back to temp very quickly

IMG_0158.JPG

Thanks for all of the input, based on this site, my reading and the Diamondback Ironworks (DBI) Videos, I am thinking of using the DBI One Valve Idler Circuit.

I started out drawing diagrams on the extra ball valves, the needle valve, all the fittings and pipes and the cost of this circuit/plumbing, based on new parts and thought about the DBI single valve setup...  the cost being less than half for the DBI Unit.

The video explained how it works and shows the simplicity of the product and I kind of liked it !

Thanks everyone for your thoughts, postings, and ideas.

Now to get Dennis at DBI to respond to me so I can order one of his units.

Things changed...  I can not get in touch with Dennis from Diamondback Ironworks, where I was going to use their Idler Valve Kit, I decided to go back to the original Idler Valve Circuit, piped in.

I will be using the diagrams from the site and modifying them a little to fit my cart/forge/tank location.

Thanks for all the info, parts ordered so there is no turning back now.

I will post pictures when things get going.