I Forge Iron

aloha fellow metal-heads

aloha all---getting back into knife making after an 8 year hiatus......   need to get everything again-------in need of a decent anvil,  tongs.......anyone have an anvil for sale at a decent price???   im not rich--and shipping will be crazy...  i live on the island of kauai--one of the islands of hawaii...    please help---i feel the need to shape some metal....    was thinking of just putting a forge together----any input,etc,,  appreciated.......as far as the anvil---PM me     mahalo   harry

Aloha Harry, glad to have you. If you'll put your location in the header we'll have an idea where you are after we open another post. 

Were you a proficient bladesmith when you practiced? Shipping a anvil to the islands is expensive for sure. So make one. Check with truck repair shops and ship's chandleries. Truck shop for broken axles, mounted flange up an axle has marvelous depth of rebound and moves metal very effectively. A piece of shafting from a chandlery on end is again a tremendous depth of rebound and you might come up with something larger than at the truck shop. A horn is pretty unnecessary forging blades a little work with a disk grinder and shaft makes very nice bladesmithing anvils.

A hardy hole is a handy thing but doesn't really need to be part of the anvil and portable holes are easy to make, portable and there's no rule about how many you have. 

I'm thinking propane is probably your best bet for a forge but not knowing the price of propane shipped thousands of miles charcoal might be the winner. I can't imagine shipping coal. Well I can, we have to ship smithing coal to AK and it's darned expensive even if you buy by the dump truck. Ship to the islands? :o

Good things there are alternatives and yakky folk to help you think of them. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.