I Forge Iron

SOFA Quadstate 22-24 Sept 2017

I wish I could convince the parents to haul me up there!

Littleblacksmith 

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well Quad-State was a big thing *before* we had IFI meet-ups; and Dylan, it's 1500 miles each way for me to drive from New Mexico.  We're hoping for next year too as my surgery this year ate my off time.  

Y'all may think of having a camping group like the old Keenjunk---the blacksmith's virtual junkyard crew does.

Greetings all,

For the first time in 23 years I will not be able to go to SOFA... Duty calls and I must wear a new hat. blacksmith/nurse. I wish everyone a great time and I am already looking forward to next year.. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

We're hoping for next year too as my surgery this year ate my off time.  

For the first time in 23 years I will not be able to go to SOFA... Duty calls and I must wear a new hat. blacksmith/nurse. I wish everyone a great time and I am already looking forward to next year.. 

I am not going this year. work is going to get in the way

I'm feeling less bad about not being able to make it -- next year's lookin' good!

I skipped last year.  I had only missed 1 year in 17.  We were building our new home in Tennessee,  I had a construction crew busy and my wife living in a 24' camping trailer.  I had to make up my mind, which did I want worst, a trip to Quad State or a divorce.  I think that I made the wise decision that year.

Now, at age 75, I have decided that spending a week getting every thing loaded, driving for 7 hours so that I could unload all that I had spent a week loading, getting set up, all so that 5 days later I could load it all up again, drive 7 hours back and spend another week unloading ,,,and then spending a week resting up, it was time to quit going to conferences.

Last week David Custer (Firey Furnace) came to my shop and loaded up all the stuff that I would have brought.  He has my banner, so if you need any of the things that I had look for my banner or Dave's Firey Furnace banner.  Oh yeah, he also has my canopy, well, now his canopy.

Stop by and visit with Dave.  He is a really nice guy and, especially for his age, an exceptional blacksmith.  Here is the future of Blacksmithing in America!

Let me know if I can help you.  You can get all of my contact information on my profile.  I prefer contact by e-mail.

to pick me up, put me up and bring me back home, but I haven't seen him yet!  I keep looking up the drive for him.   Wayne

Well...I made it back home....no flat tires and no broken springs. I did run into a guy that was headed out to rent a U-Haul trailer tho....I do wish I would have taken a pic of the guys wife face as the forklift was placing a 350lb. or so anvil in the sliding door of her mini van.....

I got to met Josh( aka....NJ anvilman) too....saw a couple of anvil bikes and the anvil stream was said to be onsite, but I missed it somehow. Actually, maybe thinkin' about it ....you guys didn't miss much...............that's a lie, it was awesome!           Life is Great today            Dave

I woke up this morning, after thinking about it all day yesterday. And I have decided I have buyers remorse. Unless there is another term for what I have....But there was so much stuff there. Call it what you will, but I call it the "Blacksmith Super Bowl"

Like I said, I made it back home with no problems. I didn't make that many trips back to the truck to unload the backpack. I just wish now that I would have bought more...I still had cash in my pocket and room in the truck, dang-it......any advice to help me here?        Dave

Many of us missed you Jim.  I expecially missed our talks.  But I know about family priorities.

Many of us with long travel distances have never seen QS on Sunday.  I know I did lots of bargain selling on Saturday Afternoon.  Biggest bummer of this year:  The HEAT!  No fun being there for 4 consecutive 90+ degree days.  I do think that 2017 will be the last time I bring my trailer.  If it does not fit on the truck, it stays home.

I did pick up a Fisher anvil on the way out, took delivery of the 700 lber on Tuesday, and bought or traded for 6 more.  Plus a few other goodies.  I sold a few heavy pieces, but definately went home heavier on Sunday.  My truck was very thirsty climbing the hills on Rt 80 in Pennsylvania.

It was a pleasure to meet and talk to ya Josh. The heat was a bit oppressive. Probably why the loaded backpack trips to the truck were limited. I went by to catch Dave a few times, but there seemed to be a crowd around all the time( probably selling all of Wayne's stuff) and didn't want to butt-in. Only disappointment I had was, I didn't find any mini swage blocks. Was Green Mengel (sp) on site?

I may have to figure a way to stay longer next year.....How did the demos go on Saturday? Next question...Is there any other B/S meeting that is larger in the U.S.?           See ya next year               Dave

Green/Mengle were not there this year.  Last time I spoke to them, they indicated that they were getting out of the anvil business.  It was not suprising that they were not there.

Demos were well attended, but I felt bad for the demonstrators having to do their thing in that heat.  

The only possible meet larger might be an ABANA conference, but costlier, and one never knows who will show up.  I guess a lot depends on location, time of the year, and costs.  Someone else could chime in about the MOB events, and some of the other large affiliate group meetings.

SOFA QS definately is in the correct location for many to attend from all over the country.  And the price is right.