I Forge Iron

Describing area

Writing a historical fiction and need help describing an abandoned blacksmith area beside an old barn in Kansas.

The person used it for metal sculptures 1910 - 1960's.

In 1917 the artist helped create an electroplated copper mask to cover facial injuries for a Kansas local. Similar to ones made for soldiers in France. 

I know the method for making the mask is not associated with blacksmithing but rejected attempts are found in his scrap barrel near the forge. 

Questions;

Would the area be a type of lean-to with shake shingles or a tin roof?

What type of rafters and wood posts would hold it up?

What would the Forge and chimney be made of? Local sandstone or brick? 

What kind of condition would it be in today? Would the Forge stand up through time or would it be breaking apart?

What types of tools or chains would be visible today? Hooks, pulleys, anvil? Would they be hanging from the ceiling and posts?

Would there be a coal bin? 

Would there be an old rusted metal tub?

Any answers would be appreciated greatly!

Becky

Welcome to the Forum Beckydoc.

The answer to all your questions could be yes, no, or maybe. Anything could apply so for a work of fiction your imagination gets free range. If you google "kansas blacksmiths" and search images, every other picture will supply the information you need.

There may be a Period Museum Forge which specifically relates to your criteria and if so someone may be along with information or depending where you are there may be someone here working an old forge that you could visit. Adding your location to your profile is always advocated for this very reason.

Re your premis as regards the mask, it could well be an item related to smithing, certainly armourers made masks since long before the period you describe and some very elaborate. Why is it being made with an electroplated copper finish, would the smith simply not just use copper? Or is there a literary device involed in your work requiring it?

The google search for images is spot on. What you need to consider is the upkeep of the building or area. Weather, the elements, and age may have taken its toll on the building and surrounding area. Today it may still be in use. Or it could have been abandoned, the building fallen in and the whole ares overgrown with vegetation and returned to the ground. A metal detector may find all manner of things buried in the ground.

2 hours ago, Beckydoc said:

I know the method for making the mask is not associated with blacksmithing but rejected attempts are found in his scrap barrel near the forge. 

One barrel would fill up and be replaced with a new empty barrel as needed. Finding rejected attempts would need to be done quickly before the scrap was moved out of the way, or reused.

Find a blacksmithing group or organization near you and go to the meetings. You will learn more in a day than you can ever imagine. There folks ARE blacksmiths so you will have first hand knowledge and information. It makes a large difference to the reader when you KNOW of which you write.

3 hours ago, Beckydoc said:

What would the Forge and chimney be made of? Local sandstone or brick? 

Sandstone has a tendency to explode when subjected to heat, so would not make a durable forge or chimney. You could make and use it, but maybe only once.

From my admittedly limited personal experience, rural Kansas is an environment that would severely test the integrity of any light structure left untended.  It's windy in a way that harasses everything on a molecular level. 

In such a situation, I'd be taking my cues from the three little pigs, I'd build with brick. 

Welcome aboard Becky, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might  be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance. 

You are asking too broad a question to get an answer specific enough for a good story but it's a place to start. There are something like 40,000+ IforgeIron members spread over IIRC 130 countries. It's literally a planetary membership. Very cool place for researching once you know what and how to ask.

A little background to help get you started. The blacksmith's shop is a very personal space, new folk tend to organize it in their vision of "perfect." However the longer someone practices the craft the more the equipment and tools get arranged to suit the smith and the work. For example a smith who mostly makes gates and fences will have a lot of floor space and doors large enough to bring stock in and finished product out. The floor space  needs space to turn long sections without hitting things. Lay out the fence sections and join the pieces.

On the other hand someone primarily making relatively small products, say knives can work in a space not much larger than a closet. I made armor for SCA fighters years ago and worked out of a corner in my arctic entry on the mobile home I owned. A space about 6' x 8'.

Those are broad examples and in reality shop space ranges very widely some blacksmith operations take place in open lots 100'+ on a side. No fooling.

If we assume your character is a sculptor His/er work will determine the size of his/er shop. 

Time period, When the sculptor worked or perhaps the story takes place will have a LOT to do with shop set up. S/he worked during the Civil war to 1900. Worked after 1950, etc. The first shop wouldn't have electric except maybe lights in the east but mid west? Naw. In the second example there could be most of the basic modern tools you see in a current shop.

Context, does it take place as a working shop or perhaps a forensic scene, or . . . ?

On and on but they're things you need to have in hand to write anyway if for no other reason than continuity. We'll be more than happy to help but you need to narrow it down for us or you'll get a rather scizzo list of must have arrangements, tools, etc. mostly from kids with virtually no experience outside the internet. 

Yeah, I write or try occasionally.

Frosty The Lucky.

6 hours ago, JME1149 said:

Sandstone has a tendency to explode when subjected to heat, so would not make a durable forge or chimney. You could make and use it, but maybe only once.

Not quite. Sandstone can explode when exposed to high heat, so it's no good for contact with the fire. However, it would be fine for the base of the forge and for the chimney, with brick and/or mortar for the parts closest to the fire. 

Remember that an old forge might well have been renovated over its lifespan. An earlier surface of crumbling brick could have been replaced with more durable firebrick, both supported by the old sandstone base. A hand-cranked mechanical blower might have replaced the old lever-operated bellows, which got stuck up in the rafters to get it out of the way. Now, it's home to mice. 

I've only been to Kansas once almost 50 years ago now so I'm not familiar with the topography. Googling I found topo map and scanned the satellite photos. It looks pretty flat for the most part, hills maybe but not big. Is there much stone on the surface? I know there's clay so depending on what's available a brick masonry forge might be more likely.

Also if the smith is a sculptor working with sheet making masks I'd bet on a sheet hood and stove pipe rather than a masonry chimney. 

I just thought of another thing to consider. Is it a working farm or did the sculptor: inherit, buy, rent or just use an empty barn? If it wasn't a working farm I'd build the shop in the barn for the room.

Frosty The Lucky.

I've been searching historic sights, History Centers. Library of Congress Photos, local History societies for yrs. looking for and getting some original photos of working Blacksmith shops both inside and out including my Great Grandfather's in about1900.  Quite interesting. Most of these would answer your questions.   

Where are you  located that makes a difference on building materials.  in 1910 there were 1801 horses in my home town and 26 blacksmiths and at least 2 wheelwrights and 4 blacksmith shops and 1 wheelwright shop all within sight of each other.  All but one are still here today but none being a shop.  1 includes an active Ghost!  Seen by many in the last 75 yrs. 

Want info like this you need to search under the surface in the dirt and dust of Old Archives.  Most of this has been  chucked into the dust pan  of time. 

on a side note I've spent yrs. stopping  at old farms and shops when I see them while traveling and asked to see what was still inside to photo and/or ask about what anyone knew about  shops or Barns in general.  For yrs. people would welcome me or tolerated me  and usually let me do it, in the last 5 yrs. a lot of "No" or "go away before I call the police".  I usually say here is my card call the police ask them to do a search on me still  I get "go  away".  So a lot more info and history is being lost. Changing times.  A friend and class mate asked recently "Do you  live in the past" and I replied I live with the past as much as I can to preserve it for the future. Same thing he says, sorry it  isn't. 

6 hours ago, Frosty said:

It looks pretty flat for the most part, hills maybe but not big. Is there much stone on the surface? I know there's clay

Yeah, there's clay everywhere here, if you dig deep enough (or not at all as the case may be). My area (central KS) is flat, but we have the Flint Hills to the east which are large enough I wouldn't want to go hiking there. I THINK we have lots of stony areas a bit west of me, but I haven't been out that way much, so I don't really know. So it really depends on where in KS the smith was located.

16 hours ago, rockstar.esq said:

rural Kansas is an environment that would severely test the integrity of any light structure left untended.  It's windy in a way that harasses everything on a molecular level.

HAHAHA, you just described Kansas perfectly. It's not as windy as some other places, but it's close. Anything light better be weighted down or anchored firmly in the ground...we had an 8x12 garden shed blow away once in a gust (no kidding).

22 hours ago, Beckydoc said:

What kind of condition would it be in today? Would the Forge stand up through time or would it be breaking apart?

If it was in use in 1960, it would probably still be standing. We have older abandoned structures around here than that (mostly brick). There might be a coal bin from that time period, there's not many trees around here to make charcoal out of. Oh, and smiths never have one scrap barrel, half a dozen is much more probable. Most of us just dispense with barrels entirely, and throw it in a heap out back! Hope that helps some Beckydoc, good luck on the book.

I really do appreciate all the wonderful words of blacksmithing wisdom you all have shared. I admit I was lazy in researching information for this part of the story. But far beyond my hopes, I Forge Iron members have supplied me with the information necessary to convey what is needed in this chapter. I am eternally grateful.  

If anyone would like to read what I have written for integrity in the blacksmithing realm, it would be ever so helpful. In creating a historical fiction I try to keep things real and connected to the time, place, and subject. Even though this is a small part of the story, I want it to be accurate.

Wth much thanks, Becky

In Painted Faces, Zita Lea Wilder runs a professional organization business in Emporia, Kansas. Today she and her employees, Chet and Sandy Carlson are outside of Olpe, Kansas evaluating a hoarder’s farm with Chuck Anderson the local auctioneer. They have finished with the house and barn.  

Painted Face

The whole group headed to the three-wall structure attached to the building. The sunbeams peeked through holes where the roof was missing parts of its corrugated metal. Zita Lea thought, “The Kansas wind sure had a hay day with this place.”

Inside they found a central rafter, where iron hooks perched sporadically like sleeping turtle doves. From one of the hooks hung a few links of rusty chain dangling a cobweb covered pulley. A stove pipe and hood sagged at an awkward angle from their roost. Below the hood rest a collapsed brick forge sitting upon a decaying sandstone foundation.

Next to the forge were twisted points and pieces of scrap overflowing from a time beaten barrel. Chet looked into a corroded galvanized washtub with sides pocked from someone’s shotgun blasts. He pointed to the bottomless tub. “Looks like sitting under the leaky roof has rusted this thing clear through.”

In the center of the room, Chuck examined the rust covered anvil sitting on a hardened tree stump stand. He tried to lift it but soon gave up. “It’s amazing nobody’s hauled this thing away. They bring a close to a thousand at most sales.”

Along the far wall, precariously leaned a pile of toppled sculptures made from implement parts. Chet went over and knocked off several years’ worth of windblown soil from one. “Hey, this could be the man made of tin from the movie about the wizard.”

Zita Lea scanned the dirt floor and spied something wedged in it. After kicking it with the toe of her work boot, she used a stray metal spike and pried it from the hardened earth. The oxidized painted piece was not much bigger than her hand. When she rubbed it clean with spit and her shirttail, she found the flesh-tone object portrayed the careful details of the right half of a face. “Odd, it’s part of a face! What do you think it went to?”

15 hours ago, Beckydoc said:

In the center of the room, Chuck examined the rust covered anvil sitting on a hardened tree stump stand.

The phrase "hardened tree stump stand" seems awkward, without imparting regional "color" or detail.

In the days before "Dutch Elm disease" decimated this tree species, in the 1930's, ... mature Elm trees were favored for the Hub portion of wood-spoked wheels, due to their twisted grain structure.

( This made them less prone to splitting or "checking". )

To someone familiar with the repair of early farm machinery, such a stump would be an obvious, and preferred choice as an Anvil base, ... for the same reasons.

Thanks for the tip on Elm trees. I need to tighten this section up before it the whole shebang his the editors. 

Scoot, Unfortunately, the blacksmith is part of the mystery of the story.He plays only a small role and more about him is discovered in his obituary. Though I do see your point, someone in the group knows he made the sculptures. I really need to work on the dialogue in this section. Add more emotion so says my writer's group. This site is keeping me honest in placing a forge in the story. ;)

Becky: The wooden shed and barn would rot and collapse or blow down long before a masonry forge. Unless there was a hidden "treasure" in it to dig out a masonry forge might last centuries longer than the remaining steel let alone the shed and barn. This is Kansas, not the Mojave desert. Yes?

The wood block stand, trunk or stump, would probably have burns from dropped pieces, stock or cut offs. Age and weather tend to turn wood gray maybe silvery gray. Bugs might find shelter in bits of bark still clinging to it. 

Are there any tools in racks or hanging from the wall? You can learn a lot about the craftsman by the tools kept close to the work space and an old pair of tongs hanging from a nail might swing in the slightest breeze making an eerie taping sound. could even startle someone:o concentrating on investigating something. Could make you jump, bang our head, shin or trip over a clue. You just never know. 

A wooden work bench might have collapsed and spilled tools and perhaps an unfinished project in the dust? A large bench vise mounted to one corner could well have unbalanced it enough to cause the collapse, especially if the wind torn tin roof leaked over it. My good Wilton bench vise has to weigh around 130lbs. It's a beast.

Not trying to coauthor I'm just getting into visualizing the scene.

Frosty The Lucky.

Becky,

One thing that didn't occur to me before but does now, is that some old anvils were worked long and hard by smiths who cared for them leaving the face of the anvil polished.  There's a gent who attends a local hammer-in (blacksmith meeting) every year with his great-grandfathers anvil.  The face isn't mirror polished or perfectly flat, but it's remarkably slick and shiny from years of use.  Everyone asks him how he polished his anvil face, then they don't believe him when he say's how the innumerable blows of his ancestors have planished the surface.  He doesn't have to do anything to maintain the finish beyond keeping it dry. 

In contrast, there are ton's of "barn-find" anvils at antique shops that have enormous chunks missing from the working faces.  That's often caused by people who don't realize the damage they can do by hitting an anvil with a hard hammer. 

A hardscrabble smith might allow a leaky roof over the stock pile, or near the coal bin but they'd make time to patch it wherever it would protect their anvil.  I'm not a sculptor but I would imagine they would be particularly careful about the anvil's surface finish since flaws in the anvil would potentially appear in their work.

Another thought, is that a lot of sheet-metal work (like masks) is done using wood for backing since it doesn't mar the surface finish and it's relatively easy to "burn in" a hollow form.  Building on the earlier comment about scorches in the anvil stump, you might see a few dedicated stumps with various depressions burnt in.  In the case of a smith making a mask, you might even see some recognizable facial features burnt into a stump. 

It's a pedantic point, but smiths would choose the end grain of the stump for hollow work like a mask because it shapes more readily to a hollow form.  Whereas the scorches on the sides are typically from the smith straightening long sections that have decorative features.  You might also see an old broken handle with lines burnt on it which was used in the place of a hammer to straighten the decorated work.  Old handles are popular choices because blacksmiths typically have a lot of handled tools.  When a wooden handle breaks, it's easily put to use as a "whacker".

I don't know if your smith is likely to do this, but a lot of cattle brands were made by smiths.  Anvil stumps would be just one of many surfaces that might have some branding marks on them from when they were tested. 

Here is what I'd like to use unless it is blatantly wrong Blacksmith wise. The editor will catch my grammar and spelling.

Next year watch for Painted Faces the story of  Zita Lea Wilder and what she has in common with a 1904 train wreck victim.

Peace to you all!

The whole group headed to the open-sided structure attached to the barn. The men veered towards abandon farm equipment parked in the tall grass. Zita Lea and Sandy walked under the structure that was missing part of its corrugated metal roof. The Kansas wind sure had a hay day with this place.

Systematically she looked the place over, starting with the central rafter, where black iron hooks perched sporadically like sleeping turtle doves. Her eyes followed the beam to a stove pipe and hood sagging awkwardly from their roost over a collapsed brick forge. Her eyes probed an overflowing barrel of twisted points and pieces of scrap, to see if anything of value had found its way there.

Chet joined her and tested the integrity of a nearby galvanized washtub pocked with holes from someone’s shotgun blast. He lifted up on one side and the bottom stayed on the ground. “Looks like sittin' under this leaky roof has rusted this thing clear through.”

Chet sauntered over to Chuck standing by a silver-hardened tree stump supporting a large anvil. He ran his hand over the once polished metal. 

“It’s amazing nobody’s hauled this thing away.They bring pretty good money, but I guess this one is too heavy for some ornery cuss to carry off.” He left when Chuck took out his cellphone to snap a few pictures and ambled over to the shared wall of the barn.There he righted one the many precariously leaning implement statues. “Hey, this is a miniature Tin Man from the Wizard of Oz. I’d heard Owens did some metal sculptures but I didn’t think it was anything this commercial.

Zita Lea spotted something painted wedged into the dirt floor. After trying to kick it free with the toe of her work boot, she used a stray metal spike to pry it from the hardened earth.The oxidized painted piece was not much bigger than her hand. She spat and rubbed it clean with her shirttail. It was the right side of a face. “Odd, what do you think this went to?”

“I haven’t come across anything like that before. Probably something from one of those fine works of art over there.” Chuck gestured towards the statues with a jerk of his head.

Zita Lea tossed the object on top of the scrap pile. Then another caught her attention. By the end of her search, she had five similar pieces. Maybe it’s part of a mask?

"Have you seen enough?" Chuck used his summer Stetson to dust his pant legs.

4 minutes ago, Beckydoc said:

.The oxidized painted piece was not much bigger than her hand. She spat and rubbed it clean with her shirttail. It was the right side of a face. “Odd, what do you think this went to?”

looks pretty good. the only thing i see is that painted metal does not generally oxidize unless the paint has worn off, in which case it would no longer be ''painted''.

other than that i like it. although i have not done much story writing, i have read a considerable amount, and done a fair bit of song writing, so i appreciate the talented use of words. you express yourself well and it is easy to get drawn into your story even in such a short section. keep it up.

Yikes, I was focusing on the forge site and forgot to check other words. Thanks for catching that. 

prosthetic_eye2blog2.jpg

My fictional blacksmith worked for Parker Carnivals carving wooden carousel horses. Later on, he made the molds for aluminum ones. He was asked to create a mask similar to the WWI masks for someone with facial deformities in Kansas in 1919.  The masks Zita Lea found were rejects. I am having difficulty in translating the picture of the mask to words. Paint chipped and oxidized, but the ceramic eye is what made me intrigued. It is frozen in the look of pleading, questioning. "Do I scare you? Will they see me as a whole man now?" In reading about the artists who made the original masks, they were diligent to reflect the soldier's face as it should be. Did this cause them to reflect the questions they were seeing in his face as they worked?

Now after so many on I Forge Iron have helped me, if ever I meet a blacksmith I may spontaneously hug them.