I Forge Iron

New 37 ton press breaths life for the first time

rhitee93

Hi All,

I've been working on a forging press for the last few months, and I finally got it up and running over the weekend.  Here is a video of me very clumsily trying to forge with it.  (Its the first time I've ever used a press so I've got some learning to do)

twin 4" cylinders at 3000psi will deliver over 37 tons.  The two stage 22/7 GPM pump is driven by a 14hp engine.  Eventaully, I'll put the pump assembly in a lean-to outside the shop, but for now it is sitting just outside the overhead door.

In my eagerness to try it out, I forgot to make keepers for the dies, and they started to move on me.  This is a pretty dangerous situation that needs corrected before I do anything else.  I also need to make some depth stop "Kiss blocks" as this thing will pinch a 7/8" bar to less than 1/16" in a heartbeat.

I built this to save my aging body from the wear and tear of drawing out patter welded billets by hand.

Here is a pic:

And a crummy little video:

https://youtu.be/2emrPgn5EJ0

IMG_20170506_091809026.jpg

That drip up at the pressure gauge is a big problem.  If you've ever seen a photo of what they had to do to a hand which had hydraulic fluid injected through a micro pressure leak, you'd take that possibility much more seriously:  Before photo tiniest pinprick needle mark where the fluid from a leak which couldn't even be seen was injected--- After photo hand totally filleted by doctors to open it up and get the injected fluid removed.  Those micro high pressure leaks can be virtually invisible.

I'm no expert on use here but from what I'm seeing, I'd use the pressure relief valve and run at a lower pressure because 95% of what you will be doing doesn't need that much oomph. No use running full blast and only using 1/4 of that (just wears seals more quickly).  I'd also drop the motor RPM a bit to slow the movement and gain a little more control.  That's just me.

Fabrication looks beautiful.  Really cool new toy you have there.

1 hour ago, rhitee93 said:

I built this to save my aging body from the wear and tear of drawing out patter welded billets by hand.

Wow - looks like it works great.  As far as controls go, I wonder if you might want to rig up a foot pedal to control it so you can use two hands to manipulate your work?  -- Dave

Well that surely beats the slow press I've seen in action. Needs finishing sure, but you are very close. 

Foot pedal for sure, and with your fabrication skills, a silencing box for the motor and a long exhaust pipe over the roof would be a good addition. 

Thanks guys,

Kozzy, that drip is on the top of my list too.  I could tell there was a leak somewhere, but couldn't trace it to the source fro sure until I saw the video.  I wasn't about to start feeling around while it was running.  My first job required me to carry a card in my wallet.  It basically said that if this person comes into the ER with a high pressure injection injury, immediately amputate at the next highest joint.

The press is only running at 2500 PSI right now because that was the default setting of the relief in the valve.  I'll probably leave it there unless/until I need the full capacity.

The pump unit will eventually go outside the shed in a lean to.  In the video, it was running just outside the overhead door.  I wear hearing protection when forging, but is still has to go.

I'll eventually make foot controls for this.  There are a lot of examples out there to follow.

• 1 month later...

The pump dictates the speed more than the engine.  Every revolution of the pump will put out a specific volume of fluid.  So, as long as you don't exceed the power output of the engine, you get a predictable speed.  (There are exceptions to this)

Two 5" cylinders will require about 25.5 GPM at low pressure and about 8 GPM at high pressure to run at the same speed as what I built.  If you find a pump with those specs, the data sheet will probably tell you what size engine you need to run the pump.

From what I have experienced with this press so far, I would guess that 22hp will be more than you need.  I think I could run 5" cylinders on with the 14hp pump I have and live with the 16% reduction in speed and be very happy with the results.