I Forge Iron

The Fly

Good one Das! Reminds me of the old B movies when Hercules had to hold up the: column, arch, boulder, giant tree, whatever while the girls escaped. "Savvve uzzz Flyculese savvvve uzzzz!," they hmmm. "Swatzzz the matter with you, run you little nitzzz!" The mighty Flyculese bzzezzz out between gritted mandibles.

Frosty the Lucky.

Lol. Nice one. I've been racking my brain for fly sayings and nothing fits or is working for me. Tho this fly has been in mind since I saw the piece I used for the swatter.  At least I got I out of my mind and into the scrap! :) 

Das, you're a master of these things. The fly is great - anatomically correct too. Flies have two wings.

I like the eyes - roller bearings with attached grease nipples??

Aus, those are outer tie rod ends that have the pressed in joint that I used for his eyes. They do have zerk fittings tho. I heated them in the forge to hammer  the ball joint out then cut them off the ends. I used one of the ball joint pieces for the sucker ( almost typo'd there lol glad I proof read)  tube. These were the best I could find for eyes. 

I don't believe flies have a proboscis (sucker thing) I think it's more of a tongue analogue. Flies can't hold their licker you know.

I'm not a fly guy though, I could be wrong.

Frosty the Lucky.

Zerk fitting 

Grease fitting, grease nipple, Zerk fitting, Alemite fitting, is a metal fitting used in mechanical systems to feed lubricants into a bearing under moderate to high pressure via a grease gun.

357_back.jpg

fly eye.jpg

Thanks guys.  

Robert, swatcha talkin bout. 

Frosty, flies have proboscis. I knew they had a sucker tube but you got me to double check and yup, they got one. 

Aus, you were fine with grease nipple, I just know them as zerk fittings. We all learn something new everyday. :) 

Glenn, it'd be a mess if someone greased this fly lol. He wouldn't get dry eye tho. 

Scott, that piece is a cap of some sort. Almost like a gas cylinder cap but smaller with no holes and threads on the outside with a square end so it could be screwed on/ off. It was a random bit I scrounged from somewhere. It makes a great insect abdomin, unfortunately I have no idea where to scrounge more. 

1 minute ago, Daswulf said:

Frosty, flies have proboscis.

A fly has a proboscis.

Flies have proboscises.

(Although the Greek plural technically is "proboscides", but let's not be too picky.)

;)

Question for Das: 

Did you get the inspiration for the fly while dumpster diving?

Did you intentionally wait until now to make the fly sculpture so you could call it a May fly?

Are you going to call the bill of sale for that sculpture fly paper?

Glenn, I had the swatter there waiting in the shop for this pesky fly to show himself but he turned out to be bigger and stronger then I had imagined. He isn't going down without a fight. 

It would be pretty cruel of me if I wrote the bill of sale On fly paper ;) I'm sure they would have a hard time letting go of it

Das, you're a master of these things. The fly is great - anatomically correct too. Flies have two wings.  Really, how many toes does a frog have ???

Please bring that fly here when you come back...I'll give it a good home ...