I Forge Iron

Kuhn/reiter ram oil question

My Reiter distributes the oil very unevenly on the ram. 

In use, one side is well oiled, on the other, it is bordering on dry.

Can any of you pneumatic hammer trouble shooters think of an obvious reason for this?

Thanks in advance.

On 06/05/2017 at 9:55 PM, Dan P. said:

My Reiter distributes the oil very unevenly on the ram. 

In use, one side is well oiled, on the other, it is bordering on dry.

Can any of you pneumatic hammer trouble shooters think of an obvious reason for this?

Thanks in advance.

Which model was it? I can't remember off hand.

I guess the problem is either too much oil getting past in one place or not enough oil getting to the other. 

Mine does not drip oil...there is oil all over the ram surface though.

What happens when you increase the oil flow...just more oil on the one side?

Worn or broken rings on one side allowing more oil to get past?

Is the hammer perfectly level and the ram vertical? The residual oil does not collect on the one side overnight?

Have you checked that the delivery hose is okay? A bit of hose lining flapping on one side might divert the oily air to one side.

Can't remember, but there might be a wiper seal on the ram like on a hydraulic ram which may have worn. AC Belting in Gloucester, Mayday seals in Cheltenham or BSL in Brockworth. or Simplybearings on line if you can get the part number/type/dimensions. 

Alan

Thanks Alan, 

The model is a reiter K-0.

More oil means more oil on the one side.

The hammer is fairly level. 

I haven't really done much with the hammer since I got it. I had it rewired and then pretty much put it straight to work, and I don't think it had much maintenance before I got it, either, or since it was made, really.

I suppose I will have to open up the hatch and see what is going on inside the ram chamber, though I am loath to because these things tend to be a bit like taking a part a clock for me.

photos?

But don't worry about their complexity...there is basically a couple of bits that go up and down, some seals and a couple of valves which consist of a plain steel disc with a coil spring on one side, keeping it closed...very simple.

Bolted on top of the ram there is thick disc which is the piston, The ram then comes down through the guide/seal. For you to be seeing oil on just one side of the ram it must be getting past that seal...it will not be the piston rings. If the hammer is leaning one way and the oil is on the lower side then it could just be gathering in the bottom of cylinder on the low side..

You really will not know until you the it apart...

The lack of oil on the other side is the worrying thing, that is not going to do it any good...too much oil is not really much to worry bout.

Take photos and sketches as you take it apart.

Alan