I Forge Iron

New England Blacksmiths Meet June 2017

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm going to weigh my answer carefully.

Geographic center https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dunbarton,_New_Hampshire  Not too far from our teaching center/frequent meet location in Brentwood, NH.  People forget how big Maine is sometimes.  

And I'm going fishing here, our meets are run by volunteers so if you want to have a meet near your home town, speak up and run one.  It's not hard, and very rewarding.  We try and move them around New England so no one feels left out, but if no one wants to host a meet then back to Brentwood we go to our semi-permanent location.  

Judson, Sorry it seemed far fetched until I looked at the map.. Dunbarton is only about 1hr 40 drive from me...  Then I noticed that they include all of ME and as you pointed out.. It's a very long state.. 

So after that I looked it up and this is what I found..    Its funny how even these people can't agree.. 

http://allthingsmaine.blogspot.com/2009/05/center-of-new-england.html

The Center of New England

The title of "geographical center of New England" has been claimed by Dunbarton and Wakefield, New Hampshire, and Sanford, Maine. But according to a geologist with the U. S. Geographical Service in Massachusetts, the center lies in the Oxford County town of Norway..

Ah Hum.. Leave it to someone in MA to have a different answer.. :)  

What I should have written is where are the majority of NEB members from?     

I was thinking in terms of raw population density.  At the risk of infuriating some Mainiacs, counting the northern wild lands of Maine doesn't register in my head...unless, of course, we have black bear, moose and fisher cats holding active membership.

Full disclosure:  I would be hard pressed to counter argue if someone adds "Most Connecticut residents" to the list of wild animals above.

7 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

What I should have written is where are the majority of NEB members from?     

The ones that matter are from Vermont (grin).  Since we are on the subject of geography, did you know that if Vermont was flattened out it would be bigger than Texas?

But seriously, if anyone thinks your area has been neglected, host a meet.  We have seed money available, and well tested logistic procedures for the asking, and a great support network.  

I've never counted but I assume the membership roughly follows the population density of the various states.

If you flattened out Vermont where would you put all your hunting camps?  .....filled with drunken hunters crying about how there are no deer left....

Seriously though, I'd love to do a meet at Mystic seaport.  I just don't think they would allow camping in Mystic village and the paid lodgings can get pricey.  Plus the lodgings around there can get pricey.  But Bill Scheer is a member with some pull there.  Me, I don't have pull on my own front door.