I Forge Iron

New England Blacksmiths Meet June 2017

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

16 hours ago, JHCC said:

Actually, the only issue with the last sentence is the absence of a verb. In context, however, the verb "to be" can legitimately be assumed.

Oh, I was counting that whole last bit as one big run-on with randomly place punctuation...

I guess it's sad that internet forum grammar (which is acceptably poor) makes me feel like I'm correcting a research paper from someone who will be entering college soon.

18 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Βρεκεκέξ (I can croak the croaking chorus of the Frogs of Aristophanes...)

Seriously...that was awesome.  Just when I think I wasted time for three years in college.  

Is the world ready for a Gilbert and Sullivan pastiche of the Frogs of Aristophanes...?  My Alma Mater had a Greek Theater and if I ever win the lottery I'm going to fund a production of Myrtle the Turtle done as a greek play there---with the increasing stack of turtles being the chorus of course with turtle masks for the actors.  It's a "classic" tale of hubris and its downfall!

It appears this conversation took a sharp  turn and ended up in a Frog Pond in Greece by the sounds here .  I've had driving experiences in the past similar to this just mine were closer to home.  Maybe it was the chorus of Turtles that leered me into the pond, seems like there was some mermaids or something that attracted Greek sailors onto rocks or island, been 50+ yrs since I read this stuff. 

Maybe there will be some Frogs or Turtles at the Fryeburg meet, frog legs and turtle soup on the  Sat. Menu? See you all there next weekend.

If you see me there I would suggest an immediate ER visit....probably some toad skin got in the soup! 42 years since I was reading my way through the greek plays.  I liked Aristophanes over some of the more "tragic" ones.

So blacksmithing: any more good ancient greek sources on metalworking besides the Berlin Foundry Cup and a few mentions of iron by Homer? 

On 5/27/2017 at 0:38 PM, ThomasPowers said:

So blacksmithing: any more good ancient greek sources on metalworking 

Sure, they have outstanding national museums.  Greek National Historical Museum, National Archeological Museum, and the Natl. Museum of Military History to name a few.  

Some pics of pieces.  First set actual ancient greek, second set "newer" but still interesting.  

P4240556.thumb.jpg.28a3e6162e63d73e6846186729a83619.jpgP4240531.thumb.jpg.f320e497ae183f17a2ed6e135488ba91.jpgP4240508.thumb.jpg.5dbf8dfdfd9f3934b4dc244b84bfb8fd.jpgP4240492.thumb.jpg.6d17ed9a0b7ceb76795a3fa0b54fbff5.jpgP4250616.thumb.jpg.52eb55efef17f354316d70318d12fe94.jpgP4250592.thumb.jpg.0af297d566ee2fa85a399d32107641f4.jpgP4250604.thumb.jpg.9d9f1d43502fa94d25f395402b4ff88c.jpg

I pick up museum catalogs when I run across them in the used book stores.  Got one from the Korean National Museum just because it had a stone mold carved to cast bronze blades in.  I knew it was done but had not seen an actual example of the molds!

On the second picture down, lower left corner---it that 1/2 a sheep shear?

On ‎5‎/‎8‎/‎2017 at 11:25 PM, Lou L said:

I seriously hope to make it for Saturday at least.  It would be nice to see Dale win one of the big prizes again.  It appears he has a knack for that!

Lou

Sorry you didn't make it. but I know how far it is, 4 hrs from my home in VT but you did miss me winning again.  I think I may be on the "don't sell to this guy list"  next time but  no matter I'll be in the West then anyways.  You may be happier with the fall location IF things work out right. 

This was a great meet, about 115 people registered and in my estimation a great Demonstration team of 4 people all at once doing a couple things with great narration.  If no one else does I'll post a few pictures(if they come out) on the NEB sight when I get a chance. 

It went to a young man just starting out, so as long as he manages to keep it from eating his fingers it'll be a good fit.

Definitely nice to see everyone again, and Lou you probably thought you were joking but guess who won the casting raffle again?  No kidding, I think Dale has won 3 IN A ROW now!

147 people showed up!

15 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

what did the drill press go for?   

That was a lot of fun.. I was glad I went..  

The fair grounds was very nice and the layout was perfect..   Green coal was fun and interesting and was just a great get together.. 

You did a great job helping out the two boys who were trying to make a chain Damascus billet at the green coal area. I learned a lot watching. I think you would make a great presenter/teacher should you ever choose to do so.

4 hours ago, Judson Yaggy said:

It went to a young man just starting out, so as long as he manages to keep it from eating his fingers it'll be a good fit.

Definitely nice to see everyone again, and Lou you probably thought you were joking but guess who won the casting raffle again?  No kidding, I think Dale has won 3 IN A ROW now!

147 people showed up!

I was really interested in it brought the extra cash with me and everything. But glad he ended up with it..  I came to my senses and while I love those old machines it wasn't going to fit into the Blacksmith Demo trailer.. Just to tall..   

Wow. He must really need them.. :) 

2 hours ago, PaperPatched said:

You did a great job helping out the two boys who were trying to make a chain Damascus billet at the green coal area. I learned a lot watching. I think you would make a great presenter/teacher should you ever choose to do so.

Thanks..   I used to be a teacher of sorts..  Maybe at some point I will teach again on a paying basis.. I'm still undecided how I want to proceed or even if I want to proceed.  

Met both them Young guys last fall meet.  The one who supplied the chain spurred me on to make a knife last year (which was just supposed to be how to forge a knife tip) and this year it was damascus.. Young Master Yaggy did some sledging for me at the fall meet..   It's great NEB has such a great group wanting to share.. Makes abilities move so quickly ahead..  Mr Yaggy's Boy is growing up quick.. They both are for that matter..  Time goes by so quickly.. 

I'm going to stop buying tickets on the castings, but would like to note that I'm very pleased the drill went to some one who really  wanted it and a young man with a lot of potential. I understand he was on the winning team in the forging contest.  I was interested to  see how many young folks that were there and getting involved, looking good for our interest for another generation  

Thanking everyone at NEBs for a great event, very well done, Demonstrators were all great. 

Must have been 9 or 10 teenagers at the meet, most of whom spent some good time in the teaching tent.  I think my son made 16 hours in 3 short days.  Thank you again Jennifer for teaching him.  Dale, glad you are done entering the raffle so I know when there is a chance of winning again.  Please tell me that you are not moving on to Iron In The Hat?

23 hours ago, Judson Yaggy said:

Must have been 9 or 10 teenagers at the meet, most of whom spent some good time in the teaching tent.  I think my son made 16 hours in 3 short days.  Thank you again Jennifer for teaching him.  Dale, glad you are done entering the raffle so I know when there is a chance of winning again.  Please tell me that you are not moving on to Iron In The Hat?

It was my Pleasure..  Both your son and Jesse seem to like unique projects and your son is always willing to swing a sledge. That was a really nice hammer he made.   They both seemed to get forge welding basics by saturday afternoon..  Pretty good I would say.. 

I'm so bummed I couldn't make it.  The distance wasn't the deciding factor as much as my wife's state exams were.  If it were closer I could have worked around her intense schedule but the travel time made it impossible.  She promised me the next meet.

I knew Dale was going to win!  I'm just going to have to buy the castings if I'm to own any of them.  I'll buy my tickets next time though!  Sorry I didn't get to hang out with you all.

On 6/9/2017 at 9:35 PM, Judson Yaggy said:

Next meet will probably be in Goshen, CT sometime in September, but don't quote me.  

I feel bad now!  Goshen would be easy for me but inconvenient for so many others.  It would be nice to keep the meets in Mass. just for fairness.  Still, I'm excited for it.