I Forge Iron

New England Blacksmiths Meet June 2017

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Judson:     Something like this for the contest?  Was on the Blacksmith Shop or OX Shed they call it at Quechee Village Antique place in VT a few yrs. ago.  Not sure the latch is still there now that it has become a working  Blacksmith  Shop again. 

DSCF0633.JPG

DSCF0632.JPG

DSCF0635.JPG

Yup.  Any way you can think of making it as long as you have fun doing it.  Glad to hear someone is working there again.  

Not sure what the auction format will be, since Richard Spreda retired from his traditional role of auctioneer we've had fewer live auctions.  I'll have to check in with the guys running the meet.  Anyone out there want to volunteer to do the auction?  Buller...Buller...Buller...

I'm very interested in the drill press but I am coming back home Saturday night..  So it would be nice to be able to bid.. Of course depends on the shape of it.. 

I had one model down from this with a 3 speed gear box but without the hand crank table lift in near new condition that ended up going for scrap when I was in the process of moving..  No it wasn't me who scrapped it.. I was so angry or I should say still angry about it..  

I'm going to have to overcome a variety of pitfalls to make it to this meet...  I seriously hope to make it for Saturday at least.  It would be nice to see Dale win one of the big prizes again.  It appears he has a knack for that!

8 hours ago, Lou L said:

It would be nice to see Dale win one of the big prizes again.  It appears he has a knack for that!

OH OH you let out my secret will be lucky if they sell me any tickets this year.  I've found a couple pictures of the drill press JLP, I was told it was operating when the guy I got it from cleaned out the owners cabinet shop after he had gone to a nursing home. 

14 10 27_2323-1.JPG

14 10 27_2322-1.JPG

Well, I will certainly bid on it.. Problem will be not knowing how to or what kind of time frame to get it.. I mean transportation if I do win the auction but since I have never been to the event or really know the lay out of the land it might not be in the cards.. 

Do you have the flywheel for the top? I don't see it in the picture.. 

No,  the top wheel wasn't there when it was taken apart, I asked the same question at the time,   Transportation if you get  it you  will need a P/U as it is heavy.  That is well made.   Not sure what you mean about lay out of the  land, if you  mean the Fair Grounds it is Large & Flat. 

• 3 weeks later...

Additional auction information, it will include the following:

1.). Custom OAK slack tub made by Ed Ludjens of the Portland Barrel Company 
   2.). Really cool axe complete with handle made by Joel Tripp 
   3.). One big antique wall-mounted drill press donated by Dale Johnson
   4.). One brand-new blacksmith apron donated by FORGE-APRONS of Utah.  I was impressed that somebody from that far west knew about our meet.  It's going to rock!

Forging contest following the auction will have prizes as follows for each member of the team of 2.  First place a guillotine tool and 3 pairs of tongs.  2nd place 2 pair tongs.  3rd place 1 pair tongs. Further details already posted elsewhere.  

Judson       JHCC is already "twitching" because he will not be there to bid on these fine items.  I love to  leave out punctuation, Prepositions and add poor speling jest to watch folks twist themselves into a pretcel over it. ;)