I Forge Iron

Repurposed punches for blacksmithing - price question

tl;dr - how much is fair to pay for S7 punches from tablet press. Some dies available too.

I have an opportunity to buy a 10 or so used (and defaced) punches from pharmaceutical tablet presses. He said make an offer.

• They are S7 steel (he said he has spec sheet)
  • Not sure on brand.
  • The round punch faces are the size of either regular Advil to large Tums antacid chewables.
  • The oblong faced punches are the size of a Tylenol
  • There are some dies available too.

I recently took a class on making chests and the instructor had some re-purposed punches that worked well for cutting "D" shaped slots and key holes.  It seems like there are quite a few other potential uses for these (touchmark, chisels, punches, etc).  I'm not sure about reshaping the tooling into bar stock, but could definitely reshape the ends to make chisels and such.  I have the equipment to heat treat S7 too.

I don't want to get ripped off and I don't want to insult the guy (and there may be more punches available in the future).

I've attached an image that is similar to what the instructor had and what the guy said he had. 

Thoughts on a fair price?  I'm not looking for the deal of the century, and am willing to pay a fair price, just don't want to get taken for a ride.

diespunches_2.jpg

If you had the press to use them in, it would be worth it. Otherwise you are just padding his pocket.

You aren't going to reforge them, You may use them for some "Garden Art".

You are the one with the vision, you can see the glitter like the Crow. The Crow takes lots of shiney things!

Neil

These show up wherever there is a pharmaceutical company, they get changed out on a regular basis. 

Someone or another has been tailgate selling these around the NC-ABANA meetings for years for a buck or two apiece. It is a LOT of work to forge these by hand, but do-able.

1 hour ago, John McPherson said:

These show up wherever there is a pharmaceutical company, they get changed out on a regular basis. 

Someone or another has been tailgate selling these around the NC-ABANA meetings for years for a buck or two apiece. It is a LOT of work to forge these by hand, but do-able.

Thank you, appreciate the info.

I'll likely not reforge them, but grind to shape.  Although I won't be able to resist try to forge at least one.  And if I can get them for a couple bucks a piece, not a big deal if I destroy a couple.

They're worth local scrap price, a few cents a pound. Unless someone consistent has large quantities of special steel the scrapper doesn't give more than steel scrap price.

A buck each is way better than they'd get from the scrappers IF they bother to do more than round file them. I'd offer a buck apiece, your buddy is probably saving them from the dumpster so a ten spot makes it worth the effort. It's not an insult, want to bet the company has rather severe policies about employees taking stuff, new or trash?

I'd jump on it even if he held out for a $20 I just wouldn't the next time he offered them. I'd love a chance to play with them.

Frosty The Lucky.

13 hours ago, Ranchmanben said:

I'd offer him a dollar a pop and see what he says. You can always go up and he doesn't know what they're worth either. Or you can tell him to name his price and give him the old horse trader line, "I can't buy and sell this for you."

will use that saying...i hate it when people say "make an offer"...in his defense, i think he is being nice and if i said any price he'd be ok with it...just don't want to be ridiculously low.

16 minutes ago, Frosty said:

They're worth local scrap price, a few cents a pound. Unless someone consistent has large quantities of special steel the scrapper doesn't give more than steel scrap price.

A buck each is way better than they'd get from the scrappers IF they bother to do more than round file them. I'd offer a buck apiece, your buddy is probably saving them from the dumpster so a ten spot makes it worth the effort. It's not an insult, want to bet the company has rather severe policies about employees taking stuff, new or trash?

I'd jump on it even if he held out for a $20 I just wouldn't the next time he offered them. I'd love a chance to play with them.

Frosty The Lucky.

If he has/can get more, i'll send them to you if you'd like.  Flat rate shipping is pretty reasonable from MI to AK.

12 hours ago, swedefiddle said:

You are the one with the vision, you can see the glitter like the Crow. The Crow takes lots of shiney things!

I really like that!

I reforged an S1 pharm punch into my favorite slitting chisel, left the top alone and just forged out the end into a lovely rocker curve. I have a handle to fit it and it's one of my most used tools.  First time to heat treat S1 and read up on it in the ASM handbook---no normalization! Which was unusual for me...

Why grind when you can forge!

34 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

I reforged an S1 pharm punch into my favorite slitting chisel, left the top alone and just forged out the end into a lovely rocker curve. I have a handle to fit it and it's one of my most used tools.  First time to heat treat S1 and read up on it in the ASM handbook---no normalization! Which was unusual for me...

Why grind when you can forge!

Great info, i will definitely try some forging.  I was thinking the preformed top and recessed barrel would be beneficial for making strike tools.

I used to have a set of tongs that fit the recess perfectly and used a tong ring from a short section of pipe hammered oval to hold it all the time...Till I taught a class at the university and one of the students managed to miss the top of the chisel and hit the tongs 3 times with a sledge before I could stop them.  Now the tongs are broken and I have forged a less fancy holder for the chisel...

56 minutes ago, noware said:

If he has/can get more, i'll send them to you if you'd like.  Flat rate shipping is pretty reasonable from MI to AK.

I really like that!

I'll be more than happy to cover the flat rate and what you give for them. Thank you. PM me please.

Frosty The Lucky.

I would offer local scrap price per pound. The dies are not much use unless you can install them in a press to keep the alignment correct. Other than that you might be able to make some yard art with them, or maybe figure out how to make a jig or two.  Although if the shape goes all the way through they could make some interesting extruding dies for ceramics. 

S-7 is not terribly expensive when you consider that if you get a piece of new bar stock you do not have to work around features the punches have. With the punches you have to work around the shape they are to make what you want. 

• 3 weeks later...