I Forge Iron

Thomas Powers

ThomasPowers

Thomas,

Good luck in your coming "operation".

I strongly suspect that you'll feel like a new man in 6 or 8 weeks time.

And definitely rejoin the gang, here, when you feel up to it.

We'll miss you.

SLAG.

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well I survived; I think, US healthcare system had me out the door in 23 hours where most other places sad 3-4 days in hospital was the norm.  Me I'm thankful  as I was woken up at least once an hour all night long.  Finally asked for pain meds just to get some sleep.  Now to see my out of pocket costs, had a US$2K right at the front door to get in and expect more after the insurance pays their bit.

I suspect I'll feel a lot better in 6-8 weeks too; but right now I'm at the "why did I agree to this" stage; though it would allow me to experiment with 2 medieval quenchants at once...

T.P.

Delighted that you came through the ordeal relatively unscathed.

The two medieval quenchants. One is undoubtedly alcohol and the other?

Molten lead?

I doubt that guess, but I am mystified.

Reg

Blood and Urine; I'm off alcohol until the bleeding stops.  My surgeon, my Nurse and a friend who is a Dr have all told my wife no heavy lifting for weeks (and their definition of heavy lifting includes a lot of my commonly used hammers...)

Now I don't know of a source that advocates them mixed. I once used an exhaust bath of Indigo dye as a stale urine quench---it had such an amusing smell when re hot steel hits it. (Basically a weak brine...)

For a more amusing list of Renaissance quenchant suggestions C.S.Smith's "Sources for the History of the Science of Steel,  1532-1786"  Has some from 1532 including beet juice.

It even has a safety section "First I shall tell you how to make the Electuaries that are to be taken daily by those who metals in the fire, in order to be protected against noxious, poisonous fumes.....

Out in 23 hrs. instead of 3-4 days. Worked your Powers of charm on them did you? 

I won't play uncle Mom and give you good advice I'll just restrain myself and not give you silly advice. 

Have a Kindle? I like audio books when I don't want to be disturbed. Nothing like a pair of noise canceling headphones to tell folk. "LEAVE ME ALONE."

Good to see you back on the forum already.

Frosty The Lucky.

Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books are just the ticket...the plots are all the same but they are easy page turners. I got through one or two a day when I was last recovering. No brain concentration necessary, but sufficiently distracting to keep your mind off your discomfort!

Alan

7 hours ago, Alan Evans said:

Ellis Peters' Brother Cadfael books are just the ticket...the plots are all the same but they are easy page turners.

The charismatic and handsome young man who seems so helpful is almost always guilty.

Got Patrick O'Brian's series stacked up and a bunch if dime books from the used bookstore; up every hour last night so not tracking correctly yet.

BTW there was someone asking about an imprint on a smithing tool that looked rather like the NRA (National Recovery Agency) Blue eagle symbol used by any company that met their compliance with the National Industrial Recovery Act, part of the Roosevelt's New Deal.  I don't remember the thread right now and how close the stamp was but odd things crawl out of the bookcases late at night...

On 5/10/2017 at 9:24 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Well I'm in the bad book phase; trashy cheap books it doesn't matter if I'm paying attention to.. I've got a stack of good books for later

I just saw this thread.

Shall I send you a few books from my library to pass the time? I do not have many people with official inter-library loan contracts, but you qualify.

What is your current interest area?

Ric

On 5/10/2017 at 10:24 PM, ThomasPowers said:

Well I'm in the bad book phase; trashy cheap books it doesn't matter if I'm paying attention to.. I've got a stack of good books for later

Maybe now I can read that review you said you were going to do of mine

Over halfway through "William Kelly and the So Called Bessemer Process"  The author does not deal well with historical iron processes---the early years. Of course this book dates before objective dating criteria were available and the start of the iron age has little to do with the book's main thesis several thousand years later.

I've been enjoying watching a pair of kestrels sitting on the fence post outside my window here and keeping track of the prey they are holding---mainly lizards.  Well I've been hearing the cheeping of baby birds lately and finally did a walk around and found that the kestrels are nesting in a cavity where something chewed a hole in the rafter cavity blocking---the 2x4s that fill in the gaps between the rafters where they rest on the horizontal beam atop the masonry wall.  I don't mind sharing the roof!  (and will not be mentioning the hole with my landlord  until after nesting season is over...) Now I know why they keep sitting on the fencepost about 25' from my chair!

• 4 weeks later...

Headed uphill today; gotta be in the Hospital in Albuquerque for epilepsy testing Monday at 7:45 with less than 4 hours of sleep and NO CAFFEINE!   I'll be offline for at least a couple of days as the northern house doesn't have internet. (Hospital does, then back at the house the following weekend)

Y'ALL play nicer than me while I'm gone and if I find you've changed to an all plaster of paris and sand forges forging nothing but LC RR spike knives when I return I'll *know* I'm in the afterlife and DIDN'T pass the final!