I Forge Iron

New Hardie Tool of Very Odd Shape

• 1 month later...

I agree.  My wife owns a Peter Wright that has a distinct groove worn under the HH on the underside of the heel from wedges, and slotted tools pop up from time to time.  

Feels like I've seen that shape of working surface from time to time but I can't seem to jar the memory of what it was used for loose. 

Granite tool sharpeners' stake. The stake is wedged to keep it from flopping around. It's normally used with a hot-cut hardie specifically made for the pritchel hole. The hammer face is made with an angle to match the angle of the stake, so that the hot granite tool takes a wedge shape between the two, via hammering. The worker can sharpen and cut without having to constantly exchange stake and hardie in the square hardie hole.

• 1 year later...
On 10/06/2017 at 11:00 PM, Frank Turley said:

Granite tool sharpeners' stake. The stake is wedged to keep it from flopping around. It's normally used with a hot-cut hardie specifically made for the pritchel hole. The hammer face is made with an angle to match the angle of the stake, so that the hot granite tool takes a wedge shape between the two, via hammering. The worker can sharpen and cut without having to constantly exchange stake and hardie in the square hardie hole.

You mean he forged with a hot cut hardy in the anvil? How did he keep his fingers??! Or arms or legs or his toes?

(Sarcasm is SO easy to type....)

• 2 weeks later...