I Forge Iron

Trenton History

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

On 11/9/2020 at 4:24 PM, Kevin Olson said:

Frosty.  The new ones need a little poke in the right direction on how to ask a question politely. :-)

Was I too harsh again? <sigh> I was trying for a straight talk nudge, at least I didn't go directly to stick quiz.

Frosty The Lucky.

10 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

And the Great Old Ones have such trouble finding architects these days!  Though I hear the codes in R'lyeh are interesting to say the least!

I'm not about to complain. If Yog Sothoth and the Goat with a Thousand Young don't insist on GFCIs, then I'm in, regardless of how many dimensions the build is in.

WARNING FRIDAY CONTENT---don't expect it to be on topic or make sense! (If it does feel free to participate...)

I think that they found that repeated immersions and exmmersions tended to blow the GFCI's.  On the nights of the new moon you can still hear Yog and Shub yammering about it as they lurk at the threshold.  Big C can't get a decent eon's sleep in like *forever*!  We need to get Steve's input on electrical wiring with repeated exposure to saltwater.

• 2 months later...

Hi there,

I stumbled on this thread and forum as I have a Trenton and I was hoping to know more about it.  My grandfather was a blacksmith in NYC and I have his 130ish lb anvil in Halifax waiting for me to ship it west at some point.  Its expensive to ship anvils 3000 miles so I picked up Trenton a year ago just to have in the hopes of eventually getting the hobby going - and to use in the meantime to bend cold steel on for autobody.  We are now moving to the Yukon and I am trying to lighten the load for the move and considering selling the Trenton, especially since I will probably be able to get my grandfathers anvil before I get to start pounding iron which is still probably years out.  Anyway, I was curious if someone with an AIA could date it for me (A59975).  I think its 135# from what I have read here...

Thanks in advance,

Kerry

Here are the pictures:

20210119_184312.thumb.jpg.cc406ce5492f229390484792fffddbf2.jpg

20210119_184323.thumb.jpg.7ea2f3bbc88a4e3e659d8da1e64739be.jpg

20210119_184355.thumb.jpg.fc2d8b88e608430bb65bc55313019819.jpg

The pictured anvil is in Calgary, Alberta, Canada, good point re Halifax, there is more than one... My grandfather's is in Halifax, Nova Scotia.  Last time my dad checked there were no markings on my grandfather's, perhaps they were missed.  That anvil was his in NYC where he worked doing railings and such for brownstones.  I have a picture of him from way back where he also made the sword of Melchior for a production at the MET.  I had tried contacting them years ago, but the sword is long gone.

Looks like 1906. The pictured anvil looks like it is in good shape and you should have no trouble selling it. Would it cost more to move than you will make selling it? How common are anvils in the Yukon? (Random thoughts from a cluttered mind)

I would love to see the pic of your grandfather working.

I'd bet that selling it in the Yukon would make you really popular with the local smiths!

When I moved from Columbus Ohio, USA to Socorro New Mexico, USA; I asked about selling off tools and rebuying when I got there.  The NM smiths told me that smithing stuff was rare out here as the population was low back in the day compared to Ohio's farms and industries and if I wanted to sell; SELL IT TO THEM!  Back before the prices rocketed up; I used to buy a postvise at Quad-State every time I got to go and sell it back in NM to cover my registration fees at Q-S.

rustyanchor  I think the cost of taking the Trenton with me is marginal, I am just trying to lighten the load overall (I also will get rid of the 250# flywheel base for my drill press for example).  It will cost me at least $300CAD to ship my grandfathers to me, so I thought if I can sell this, ship that, I will have a slightly larger anvil, but more importantly, have a piece of our family history secured.

Here is Grandpa Spring finishing up the Sword of Melchior (that anvil is not his, it was the shop anvil).  He passed 30 years ago at the age of 92.  My dad has a picture of him in Germany doing part of his apprenticeship on a 4' training anvil - I'd post it, but i don't have it with me.  I do have somewhere a small binder of his designs though, I could post those somewhere if folks were interested (if I can find them).

20210121_080136.thumb.jpg.8cfddf303eb7cdb2e3d2ae84d3eed46b.jpg

Thank you for posting the pic. I love the old shop pics.

I understand lightening the load when moving. I did a 700 mile move from Virginia to Kentucky. I had had a moving van, 2 horse trailers with horses, a U Haul, a utility trailer and 2 53' flat bed semis worth of "stuff" and I even dumped a bunch of stuff.  It took several weeks and multiple trips dragging various trailers of stuff. I have gathered even more stuff since I got to my permanent home. I will not move again,

I agree your grandfathers anvil would be a nice family heirloom.

• 1 month later...

Hi all I bought a 182 pound Trenton back this last August I’m in Colorado, and hauled it back home to Texas, upon this I found the  serial number, weight and last name stamp the serial number is A64296 and has C next the the 182 weight mark. Any ideas as to when this old thing might have been made? 

• 3 weeks later...

Hiya folks,

I acquired this Trenton anvil about 10 yrs ago and stashed it in my shop where it's sat lonely. I'm now building a small forge to tinker with.  I'd appreciate any info you folks can tell me about it: date of manufacture, worth, type(farrier, metalsmith, etc).

On the foot is the following:  40            202562

I'm guessing 40 lbs and the rest is serial #.  It appears in good shape; a short length of edge seems to have been intentionally rounded right before horn. and horn tip is rounded a bit from I'd assume direct blows.

Thanks for your help.

LS

20210317_135800.jpg

20210317_135829.jpg

20210317_135927.jpg

How much did it weigh on the bathroom scales?  40# is rather a light anvil to do a lot of smithing on.  I'd ask the California ABANA Affiliate(s)  what the going price for anvils is there. I don't think my local price would be the same and I'd bet money the prices in the UK or Australia wouldn't!

I just assumed 40 because I could pick it up without any problems, and I don't have a large scale , lol.  I've stayed between 165 and 175lbs for the last 40yrs, only have a lab scale that maxs at 10 KG.  It should be fine for me I'm just tinkering.  I've made knives and a couple swords but by stock removal so I want to try forgeing, knives and purpose garden hand tools.

Thanks

Edited by Mod30
Remove excessive quote.

That looks like a lot more than 40lbs! It’s also in excellent condition, assuming the ring and rebound is good.

You are probably correct about the edge. Sharp edges result in cold shunts when forging... It’s also common for the horns on anvils to be blunted. A sharp horn will leave a painful bruise when you bump into it! (I wouldn’t be surprised if some anvil were blunted in fits of pain and rage...)

David

I agree, it looks too large to be only forty pounds. If I had to hazard a guess I'd say 60-70 pounds at least. I have a chinese 66 pound anvil and I could see thinking it was only 40 after picking it up especially if it had the number 40 on it. 

Pnut

" Looks nearly unused ".  This is just speculation on my part; the fellow I got it from had been a work friend for 10 yrs and he retired 5 yrs before I did.  About 2 yrs after he retired,he started divesting himself of stuff and called me and gifted me the anvil and a bunch of odd tools.  He had been a Navy aircraft mechanic CPO in his earlier life.  If he had used it during that type work I can see how little damage would be done, working primarily on aluminum, sheet metal, etc.  Turns out he was dying and knew it hence he started cleaning house.  Good guy, he is missed.

Oh yeah, one of the things I got from him was a small mini anvil, made from a small piece of RR rail, crude but cute.  I'll find it and post a pic when I do.