edennis

Questions on Ribbon Burners

82 posts in this topic

I just have angle iron for the lower portion to hold the bricks.  Remember, heat rises.  It also appears that there is space between the bracket and the tank allowing heat to conduct up between the forge and the bracket.  You may be running to rich with to much dragon's breath.

Wayne

Wayne Coe

Artist Blacksmith

729 Peters Ford Road

Sunbright, Tennessee 37872

423-628-6444

www.WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith.com

[email protected]

There is no space between the two. It is completely welding around the opening. The heat is just transferring through. maybe I'll  try cutting the top part off and coming up with a new solution. 

Thanks,

Eric

So, what do you guys think? Normal cracking  with expansion or an error in application on my part? Should I worry about it and try to patch it? If so, what's the best method? Or ignore it?

DSC03153.thumb.JPG.017289a447ee83decb295041afca0e38.JPG

DSC03154.thumb.JPG.afdbd10353e1e4d087cc12d104090b65.JPG

@edennis I think Wayne is talking about the space between the internal insulation and the fire brick door, it does look like there is one which would cause a pocket to heat rapidly and cause the top bracket and shell to heat up that much

Edennis, you did not cast the inside all in one shot, correct?  You troweled and hoped gravity wouldn't pull your refractory down but it did, so you had to go slow.   That line could be from the refractory curing at different rates since it appears to be where the flat meets the curve of the ceiling.  

16 hours ago, edennis said:

So, what do you guys think? Normal cracking  with expansion or an error in application on my part? Should I worry about it and try to patch it? If so, what's the best method? Or ignore it?

I say ignore it.  Remember the castable refractory is there to protect the ceramic blanket, provide a little insulation and give your reflective coating a place to reside. For the most part you still have most of those features.  Go with it unless pieces start falling out of it.  I have no idea how you would repair the cracks, I think any attempt would just make a mess. 

I was thinking  of maybe mixing some plistix and spreading into the cracks, but I think you are right. I am just going to ignore them for now. Thanks for response.