I Forge Iron

Air pipe

David R.

I am building a brick forge using a nice Champion 400 "whirlwind blast" tuyre. I plan to restore a large antique bellows to supply the air. I will have to hang the bellows overhead due to limited floor space. I am wondering what to use for air pipe. I know I don't want any galvanized metal around the fire, but could I use regular 3" stove pipe for the air supply?

IMG_1526.JPG

image.jpg

image.jpg

No doubt about it, those are the makings of an enviable forge.  If you have the means to do the bending you can use exhaust pipes from car or truck as well.  Some old pipes with a patina just might suit that setup better than some shiny new ductwork.

This can sometimes come in handy as well.

41+DStNQ05L._SX425_.jpg

Called auto flex-pipe.  Used to be used to make cheap repairs on exhaust pipes but I think that won't pass inspection these days.  Still may be able to find it in your local auto parts store.  Or your friend at the muffler shop may either have some or be able to order it for you.

Yes, those are doors to my blacksmith mentors shop, (my dream shop). He  sometimes tends to over build, they should be good for the next 250 years. He let me store the bellows in his shop while I am building mine. 

Making some progress.

image.jpg