I Forge Iron

JHM vs your a forged steel anvil

Hi everyone I'm a young blacksmith looking for a bigger anvil and have run across the JHM Compititor and I am very interested. Before I spend 1200 dollars I want to know how the rebound is. How quality the ductile iron is and how does the anvil compare to an anvil of equal size made by someone like Trenton Hay Budden or Peter Wright. And if anyone could be so kind would the do the rebound ball bearing test on the JHM Competitior. Thanks everyone 

Oh and by young I mean 15 years old. But I can comprehend a lot don't water anything down please treat me as a peer. I'm ready to learn 

Hi, Jonathan! Welcome to IFI! Please head over to the Introduce Yourself page and tell us about yourself -- but be sure to Read This First!

I think we have a thread or two already about the JHM anvils. Take a look at those to see if they answer your questions.

We have a number of younger smiths here in IFI, so you're certainly not alone. We respect anyone who's willing to do the work to learn the trade, regardless of whether they're old or young.

Welcome aboard Jonathan, glad to have you. If you'll put your general location in the header you might be surprised how many of the Iforge gang live within visiting distance. Might be a one with a JHM Competitor you could try out.

I've never used one so won't opine.

Is there a reason you need a large anvil? I have a pair, one is 125lbs. and the other is 206lbs. The smaller anvil is my go to anvil for it's effectiveness moving metal. Size has never entered as a factor, I have yet to find advantage in a large table.

As you get to know me you'll discover I LOVE a good straight line and puns. And you have presented me with a dandy straight line in your first post! A 15yr. old young man asking to be a stand up pee. . . r! :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Oh thank you SIR! I am really going to like you.

Frosty The Lucky.

Welcome aboard, Jonathan!

First off, I think you have articulated yourself well. Good job. Secondly, a lot of what I say is just my opinion, and many others may think differently on this subject. Thirdly, I have not used that anvil, (or any ductile iron anvil) so, sorry, I can't do a ball bearing test.

My personal feeling about buying an anvil like that brand new is that they are generally marketed to people who need some decent anvils that don't want to devote the time to searching for "the one". I think you will be able to get more bang for your buck by getting an older one. As Frosty said, bigger isn't always better. A top quality anvil will sometimes out perform a good anvil twice its size. As long as you aren't going into the anvil making business, you probably aren't gonna be needing a big face. I have heard good things about ductile iron anvils, so don't get me wrong. I just think that for $1,200, you have a lot of options. Another thing that some of us like about our oldies is that they have a lot of historical significance. 

Anyway, just my $0.02.

Thanks everyone. I currently have a mouse hole anvil that was my great grandfathers I don't want to use/abuse this anvil. I'm interested in the JHM so that I won't need to purchase a shop anvil later and also as a versitile shop beast. You're hammer ratio would be about 40 to 1 so this will let me use any hammer I would want. If I'm not right on the ratio call me out. 

Also this will not be the only anvil in my shop I'm purchasing a 130 pound anvil as well I have several options including Hay Budden. 

You shouldn't abuse any anvil regardless of the size. Personally, I would rather have a grandson put my anvil to good use when I die than just have it sit in a corner. Just personal opinion, of course.

As far as hammer to anvil ratio goes, it is a VERY general rule at best. Frankly, I have never recommended that philosophy, and never plan to. Like I said earlier, a top quality anvil will sometimes move metal more efficiently than one twice its size. The ANVIL doesn't care what the hammer to anvil ratio is.

Now, if you don't mind me asking, why do you need multiple anvils? There is nothing wrong with having more than one anvil, but there are A LOT of other smithing tools to spend your money on other than anvils.

I have a 125# Journeyman, and it is a nice anvil. A friend used it to do several pattern welded billets, and commented that he also liked it.

As to old vs new. A new anvil won't have a face that can delaminate, won't have the damage an old anvil will have , they are made from better materials, and won't have a soft iron body that can lead to sway like most Peter Wrights that I have seen.

I like my classic cars, but I drive late 90's Saturns because they get 40 mpg, start in any weather with just a twist of the key, go around 300,000 miles before a rebuild is needed, and are very comfortable. What they lack is the style that my 1960 Chrysler has. But, a 100 year old anvil looks like one that was made today. Really nice old anvils are getting new anvil prices, and in some cases more. If prices are close, I would buy new...

My mouse hole won't sit in the corner but I want an anvil that I can use more care free I was not saying I'll abuse an anvil. And I want multiple anvil for a portable sake have been invited to half a dozen demonstrations where my items would be for sale and want a different besides my main forge anvil. @C-1ToolSteel

Thank you @BIGGUNDOCTOR how is ductile iron is it superior to say a tool steel anvil

Like an Emerson traditional. The same anvil used in Forged in Fire 

I think Bigundoctor was comparing ductile iron to wrought iron. Yes, Peter Wrights are made of wrought iron which isn't as tough as ductile iron, BUT they are faced with tool steel which is a superior material. Also, don't forget brands like Hay Budden and Trenton that have forged tool steel waist up, which is hands down better than ductile iron. Then, there are the Swedish anvils which are completely tool steel, and are of excellent quality. 

22 hours ago, SLAG said:

Fifteen years old no problem.

Check out littleblacksmith. He puts many of us to shame.

SLAG.

Thank you very much SLAG!

Welcome Jonathan!

Littleblacksmith

48 minutes ago, Jonathan Pinkston said:

How old are you little blacksmith 

14, turning 15 this year.

Littleblacksmith

They're both fine anvils. All things being equal, there's not enough real difference in performance to notice. Condition counts and being through a fire really counts. Oherwise it doesn't really matter beyond personal preference.

Frosty The Lucky.

Like Frosty said, they are pretty much the same thing. Now, there IS a substantial difference, however in the earlier models vs. the later ones in both brands. The early Hay Buddens and Trentons aren't bad anvils by any means, but they are kinda your regular anvil, like a Peter Wright. Wrought iron body, steel face. In 1908, Hay Budden (and Trenton, shortly after) started making their anvils with tool steel from the waist up. Trenton had the idea of casting the bases to lower the cost, and Hay Buddens tend to have a slightly better finish (where it doesn't matter for functionality) , so a Hay Budden might be kinda like a Trenton with a gold trigger.:)