I Forge Iron

Tomahawk Finish on the Steel

A couple different finishes on my Tomahawks ,both were put in Muriatic acid for cleaning. One has Pema Blue (gun blue) as a finish .The other was sprayed with Hydrogen Peroxide after coming out of the Muriatic acid. I 'am not sure I like the Rust type finish??Tthe rust one is Wrought Iron.  I thought I would ask you guys your opinions ?? And also what type of finish you use?? Thanks 

P1040873.JPG

P1040872.JPG

Isn't there some finishing method that involves forcing a rusted finish and then dipping it in boiling water to change the Fe2O3 to Fe3O4? I don't recall the details, but that might be more rustic than the bluing and more finished than the rust.

Agree on the bluing as a preference.  How durable is that though (most folks who get hawks want to throw them at a target eventually...)?

I have gotten a similar finish from using the hot apple cider fuming method, but I'm not sure if that would be any more durable a patina.  I'm very interested in what you come up with.  I think one of the potential advantages of an acid generated patina would be to reveal the joint between the low carbon steel body and the high carbon steel bit (if that is you construction method).

12 hours ago, Latticino said:

Agree on the bluing as a preference.  How durable is that though (most folks who get hawks want to throw them at a target eventually...)?

I have gotten a similar finish from using the hot apple cider fuming method, but I'm not sure if that would be any more durable a patina.  I'm very interested in what you come up with.  I think one of the potential advantages of an acid generated patina would be to reveal the joint between the low carbon steel body and the high carbon steel bit (if that is you construction method).

I will be trying the "hot" browning on one of the tomahawks  in the future , I `am hopefully the finish will be a more chocolate brown finish ?? I will post pictures for viewing when I get it done 

I got a bottle of Plum brown and tried it for a finish , I didn't like it very much. Plus was not very durable, I was able to wipe the rust finish off pretty easy with just wet rag. I do like the Gun Blue finish the best so far . A couple of pictures of the Hawks with handles  

P1040876(1).JPG

P1040881(1).JPG

• 3 years later...

Try Homer Dangler's browning solution available from the Log Cabin Shop in Lodi, Ohio or online. I have used this for several years refurbishing some hawks and primitive style "period" knives. Apply twice a day for a week with light buffing with grey scotchbrite between coats then clean with soap & water to stop action. A little oil or wax and you have a good looking, durable finish. This is the best solution I have used of many brands tried.

I've done a fair amount of Rust Blueing.  Of course, it doesn't turn out a Rust color but a deep Black.  I use it on a lot of firearm parts.  Personally I like the look a lot and have been tempted to break down my Ruger Blackhawk and completely Rust Blue it..............just because the color looks so good.  It's not hard to do.................kind of like the Browning Solution process Arby described.