I Forge Iron

Cordless angle grinder experience?

I love my 4" Dewalt angle grinder. I have used it for everything from bevelling knives to cutting RR rail in half. It is really annoying, though, when I just need to make one tini cut on something that is a long way from a power source. I'm considering buying the 20v max cordless model. Anyone have experience with them? I just hope it would have enough to power to do light work (wire brushing, cutting 1/2"-ish stock, and occasionally, something a little bigger). Thanks in advance, guys!

Good Morning,

The way the Tool Manufacturers want us to go, without the Umbilical Cord. If you think more Voltage makes a better machine, that is Psychology 101, is more better? DeWalt and Mac Tools have the same batteries, nobody else has the same anything. If you need a battery, it is cheaper to purchase a complete ??????Drill or whatever. A cordless anything will not out power a corded Power Tool. There is no simple answer, you MUST try the options before you buy!!

Neil

9 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

I just hope it would have enough to power to do light work (wire brushing, cutting 1/2"-ish stock, and occasionally, something a little bigger). Thanks in advance, guys!

It will work fine for these operations. You dont even need an extra battery because they charge up in less then 10 minutes

The cordless angle grinders, even the good ones, have very much less power than the corded ones. It is most noticeable as slowing of the machine under load. Bear in mind that most of the cordless angle grinders have no-load speeds substantially below those of the corded versions to begin with, and you are looking at having to make significant allowances for the fact that you are using a cordless tool.

Realistically, for the tasks you mention, a cordless angle grinder should be fine, though "wire brushing" covers a lot of things and many of them don't fall into the "light work" range.

I have an 18V, 4 1/2" Makita angle grinder and if a truck ran over it tomorrow, I'd buy a replacement by the weekend. It is good with thin cutting disks, reasonable with flap disks and a bit meh with grinding disks. I have not tried it with a wire brush yet.

• 2 weeks later...

My shop has tried most all of the cordless tools,( with exception of the cheaper brands like Ryobi etc). We have settled on Milwaukee. I am a superintendent of electricians at a steel mill, a harsh climate to say the least, and I have to say these are the absolute best tools Ive worked with. My guys are super rough on things and they hold up fantastic. This includes the angle grinders. I wouldn't hesitate to recommend to anyone. They are 18 volt, I use several in my personal shops.