I Forge Iron

should I grind off the top 1/2 inch ?

1 minute ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

I definitely have observed people make up their mind before gathering a sufficient quantity of information to make an informed decision. (How's that, Grammer Hammer?B)

Strictly speaking, that should be "I definitely have observed people making up their minds before gathering a sufficient quantity of information to make an informed decision." One might quibble about "definitely have" vs. "have definitely", the mild redundancy of "information"/"informed", or the excess verbiage of "a sufficient quantity of information" (simply "sufficient information" would be fine), but those are style points rather than grammar. B)

For what it's worthy, I personally try very hard to avoid calling people stupid, even if I might describe their actions as stupid things to do. Even then, I'd rather discuss why an action is undesirable than simply be negative about it.

6 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

The Grammar it *burns* us my precious!

JHCC is the forum incarnate of my mother... Grew up under an English teacher, sometimes i think that i subconsciously make grammatical errors just to get back at her for all the corrections!

I feel like that I sometimes come across hard on the subject of destroying anvils, I'm sorry, well, maybe. Is it wrong that l feel pasionatly about letting people know the dos and donts so they don't destroy there tool and create changes that cant be reversed for less than they paid for the anvil in the first place.

One reason I think some people want a nice shiny flat face with crisp edges, is that's how they are sold. Anvils are sold looking pristine, and so they go off of and think there's should look the same to make it functional. I mean, after all, Most things sold, are sold in the form that they are because they are the most usable, and people aren't used to modifying them, well unless its a truck of course...

Littleblacksmith

Can I hijack the thread ?-----HEY----IT IS MINE  !!!!!!-----granted,new topics may be a bit more wordly than mine----but any thoughts on VANADIUM anvils---and how good is a chunk o C1 as a striking anvil ?!?!-----all in good humor ya know !!!!!

8 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Well, I'm not an expert on this subject (and may tend to go overboard sometimes as well) , but I try to keep it about like this.

I highly recommend that you DON'T GRING OR WELD YOUR ANVIL. Lots of people prefer a little bit of sway, and sharp edges are actually a bad thing. Most people that try to repair anvils just make them worse.

I don't think there is any reason to not use ALL CAPS when trying to get the point across, but it is the sarcasm and put downs that I believe are unnecessary.

Am I on the right track?

C-1

Oh no, you are, if anything, understating the horrifying seriousness of anyone who'd even THINK of . . . GRINGING their anvil! :lol: Okay, thanks for the idea. How about we do an Iforge design of an anvil telephone?

It'd solve two problems I just thought up at once. First, a telephone that the wife wouldn't want in the kitchen under any circumstances and is no way cool enough for one of the kids to steal. Second, if someone GRINGS your pone, pick it up and say hello.

No YT-12 I'm afraid not. You MAY NOT hijack this thread. If the first case it IS your thread. In the second, it's accomplishing both your purposes for posting: 1, it's staying amazingly on topic. 2, The pot is nicely stirred just as you intended.

Well played sir. Huzzah on you.

Frosty The Lucky.

15 hours ago, JHCC said:

That would be "forum incarnation", young man.

Why? To me: 'Forum incarnate'  is the object of 'is' and incarnate is the modifier of forum. Or do you mean that the forum is no carnation?? Please explain:unsure: 

16 hours ago, yt12 said:

Can I hijack the thread ?-----HEY----IT IS MINE  !!!!!!-----granted,new topics may be a bit more wordly than mine----but any thoughts on VANADIUM anvils---and how good is a chunk o C1 as a striking anvil ?!?!-----all in good humor ya know !!!!!

Solid point YT.  Another habit of this forum is to take threads off-road and get some mud on their chassis.  I happen to like it.  Unfortunately, I'm thinking that no one here knows enough about your anvil to say more.  I think it looks to be a beautiful one and you just need to be careful about chipping.  Maybe round your edges a tad to be safe...  But congrats on your good fortune!

Concerning the aggressive posture IFI members can have on some issues: 

I have read complaints online but I take little stock in them (see Thomas's argument).  However, I think we could do more to communicate the core values of this forum so people know in advance what to expect.  We could make a "Core Values at IFI" sticky in which rants about safety, willingness to learn and anvil worship are expressed aggressively but to no one in particular.  Then a curmudgeon or a wanna-be can simply point people in its direction.  They can't take it personally because it was a pre-existing post and, of course, we softened the blow by ending it with a smiley faced emoji!

1 hour ago, Lou L said:

We could make a "Core Values at IFI" sticky in which rants about safety, willingness to learn and anvil worship are expressed aggressively but to no one in particular.  Then a curmudgeon or a wanna-be can simply point people in its direction.

I have noticed that several questions the new people have would be answered simply by going to the stickies to begin with. A good one is "how do I make a knife from this steel bar I found?" If they read the stickies in the knife making section they'd know it's likelyhood of being good steel and how to proceed. There are plenty of other examples I could list but I'll restrain myself.

8 hours ago, gote said:

Why? To me: 'Forum incarnate'  is the object of 'is' and incarnate is the modifier of forum. Or do you mean that the forum is no carnation?? Please explain:unsure: 

You are correct that "JHCC is the forum incarnate" is grammatically correct; however, it doesn't say what brickman meant. "JHCC is the forum incarnate of my mother" means that I am the incarnation *of* the forum and that I belong to his mother (whom I have not met, but whom I assume to be a lovely woman). "JHCC is the forum incarnation of my mother" means that I incarnate his mother *on* the forum, which is what he meant. 

(One could quibble that one cannot "incarnate" -- that is, take bodily form -- in an online venue, but we'll allow some poetic license.)

Yes, bad advice in relation to anvils is rather common. Have a look at this Hay Budden "renovation"

www.youtube.com/watch?v=cPfZiecdfdA

However I like this the most 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJX-XK0VSqA

7 hours ago, Michael Cochran said:

I have noticed that several questions the new people have would be answered simply by going to the stickies to begin with. A good one is "how do I make a knife from this steel bar I found?" If they read the stickies in the knife making section they'd know it's likelyhood of being good steel and how to proceed. There are plenty of other examples I could list but I'll restrain myself.

I completely agree.  I was just suggesting a way to defend IFI from people who come here for help, get blasted, and leave.  They often deserve to be blasted but, as others pointed out, they thought they knew because they were victims of bad information.  If we have a sticky announcing those core values about which members will be sticklers.  It would be less of a how-to and more of a "this is what we believe here on IFI"....like a Ten Commandments of smithing...as we see it.  At the very least it would be fun to work together writing that list in a thread.  I'd love to hear what the experienced people on here have to say about that list.  Though, as I'm typing I'm thinking back to the stickies I read starting off and realize how much people ignore when they skip them and go straight to asking questions....

1 hour ago, Lou L said:

Though, as I'm typing I'm thinking back to the stickies I read starting off and realize how much people ignore when they skip them and go straight to asking questions...

That was exactly my point. I understand the suggestion but I'm not sure if it would do any good. This is one of those times that I'd actually like to be wrong. 

5 hours ago, Tubalcain2 said:

yup. just cause they have fancy tools don't mean they know what they are doing. that's not even the worst "repair job" i've seen.

Sure. I think that in relation to anvil "repairs" because there are so many anvils around gathering dust, and in the wrong hands, the idea that someone will eventually "have a go" at making it "new again", without having any intention of using it for what it was intended is sort of inevitable.

To me it is like taking an authentic Chippendale antique table and sand off the top back to flat (to get rid of all those unsightly dings) and applying a coat of polyester two pack lacquer to it ... (oh my I shudder at the thought) and give the carving another coat of polyester resin for good measure. 

I have personally seen several anvils where they milled the top flat and by doing so milled through the entire face and into the low carbon body and at least 1 of them it was right in the sweet spot!   Why I pound and pound on people that if you *MUST* mill or surface grind,  (and over the last 36 years I've seen at least 3 anvils I though milling would improve them!), you *FIRST*  flip the anvil over and true up the base to the face, then flip it back and just kiss the face to remove the absolute minimum.   Most anvils were  forged free handed under steam hammers and so having the face parallel to the base is not a given!    (see I just typed it all out again!)

I think we are also losing the idea that tools are SUPPOSED to be modified by their users to work the best for *them*.  Like hammers used to be sold unfaced so the user would put the exact face *they* wanted and needed on them. (This hung around a bit more in Europe).  I get a lot of students that are horrified that I would suggest they rasp their hammer handles to fit their hands.  They have a problem understanding that most factory designs are not the *best* but the CHEAPEST they think they can sell the most of---I have heard it said of one of the bargain tool stores that they don't sell tools as much as tool kits and you expect to rework what was sold you till it worked right!