I Forge Iron

Shop rebuild

Pretty much all set for our tomorrow 

footing is for both power hammers. 

20' deep with rebar plus fiber mix in cement 

infront of forge framed in for end grain floor which will also but up to anvil

put a piece of channel in floor by door with a threaded rod welded on to it and ran it  towards wall for a welding station in floor. 

IMG_1469.JPG

IMG_1470.JPG

IMG_1471.JPG

IMG_1472.JPG

• Replies 265
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That's gonna be a fun project and challenging.  You'll come out OK, I'm sure.  BTW, I assume that was a typo and your footers aren't 20' (feet) but really 20" (inches).  Will be nice with all the windows for ventilation.

Concrete dry. Started on endgrain floor in front of forge, anvil,power hammer. 

Unless something blows up at the mill, I will be getting hammer with my boilermaker buddy Saturday 

IMG_1495.JPG

My wife told me I have to finish the basement before I can make the forge. Looking at starting the forge sometime in June/July. I guess I should take some pics and post them too. This door is great! I love it. Nice work 58er! 

Greetings 58er, 

Lookin good... Wont be long and we will see your new hammer in the pictures..  I had a rail in my old shop and loved it. I used it for many operations but my favorite was a tool balancer on a trolley with my Porta Ban saw so all I had to do is grab it , pull it down , Shazam it was ready to work from any place in the shop. Keep up the great work. 

Forge on and make beautiful things 

Jim

Thanks guys. 

I should have mid-span support done for monorail by Saturday. 

May put hammer into shop but have to work late all this week.

i also have to go back to guys house who sold me hammer to get a few remaining parts for it. 

Cant wait to get back to forging. 

28 minutes ago, 51 Papy said:

58er

I have to ask...why end grain floor.  It looks great (40 years I've had a wood shop).  Should be nicer to stand on then concrete just never seen this done in a shop.  

Papy

The shop where I worked in the Brooklyn Navy Yard had floors made from end-grain wood blocks (pressure-treated with creosote) bedded in sand. Durable, comfortable to stand on, didn't damage tools that got dropped; hard to keep clean, though. 

The Western Electric Company plant in Columbus had end grained wood floors back in the heavy equipment area; couldn't tell if they were creosoted due to all the oil they has sopped up over the years.  Fairly good sized place; used to have over 3000 people working there.

I find standing on wood a bit Better on my back as opposed to the concrete. 

Also I liked the  look of it and wanted to try it. 

I made the blocks 3 1/2 inches thick out of wolmanized 4x6