I Forge Iron

Knife made for Fork and Spoon 3 piece set

Got the knife finished that goes with the Fork and spoon set today and the "How to' video  is in the editing stage..  All processes were done by hand except for the pin holes and this was done with a hand gear drill..  First knife made in 20 years, few mistakes but overall "still a work in progress".... Roughly 8hrs to complete.. I used epoxy vs horse glue.. :)   The wood was picked because of the contrast (Bokuuta) I believe it's called.. The drawknife would only pull fine shavings as it is very hard wood..  Brass pins.. 

20170413_171509.jpg

20170413_171535.jpg

20170413_171650.jpg

A very nice set! what happened to using the moose bone for the handle?

Littleblacksmith

JLP,

I looked up the wood on wikkipedia and was not successful. I will now consult my library and hope for better luck.

Does it have another name?

SLAG.

p.s. All three tools are excellent work and design.

Awesome work JLP. They are quite well done but I'm thinking the knife lacks anything to tie it in with the fork and spoon tho. I Have seen sets that are like that but were I to make a "set" I think having a tie in feature would be nice.  Please don't take that wrong. The work is excellent. I doubt I could get two pieces as similar as you got the design of the fork and spoon, and it's all proportionate. Just an observation.

Can not wait to see this one, very nice work, that handle looks really good. When you set thoes pins do you drill the hole so they are tapped in? Man, it's 0300 and I'm feeding kittens in one hand and a lamb in the other. I can't remember who's idea it was to be a rancher, this part was never in the movies!

6 hours ago, Daswulf said:

Awesome work JLP. They are quite well done but I'm thinking the knife lacks anything to tie it in with the fork and spoon tho. I Have seen sets that are like that but were I to make a "set" I think having a tie in feature would be nice.  Please don't take that wrong. The work is excellent. I doubt I could get two pieces as similar as you got the design of the fork and spoon, and it's all proportionate. Just an observation.

Thanks.  The knife blade itself is the colonial feature and correct design for the same time frame the spoon and fork portray..  

I do get it and now thinking about it, it would have been neat to have the same handle feature with the spine in the middle of both sides with the rat tail handle..    I was in a period correctness thing at the time.. (Designs I like in colonial blades that would be fitting was my thought process and this design came to me bright and clear not only that it's a rarer design of blade)..

Not a fan of metal handles on knives, and other than the wood, the design is period correct.. I was going to make the handle more coffin shaped but Who ever buys it I want to use it and the coffin handle unless well rounded isn't that comfortable..   

I do see your point though.. Nice thing about being a blacksmith.. I can just make another one.. :)  

You stuck a seed in my brain now.. :(   I may have to change the title to " The knife that might have been part of a set"..      LOL..   Argh...   i'm completely torn now..    Where were you when I was in the designing phase??? 

9 hours ago, littleblacksmith said:

A very nice set! what happened to using the moose bone for the handle?

Littleblacksmith

Since the moose bone was a complete bone and not disinfected or aged and when I cut off a piece there was still marrow inside (it was supposed to have died last fall) I decided I didn't want to go through the hassle..  Not only that while some people would think it's neat others would be always worried the moose was shot for the bone..  And lastly just to much white or silver.. .  I wanted to mute or break up all the bright colors and the only other way I was going to achieve that was with an inlay or a change in wood material.     Sorry if the moose bone was a key feature of interest for you and it didn't get used.. 

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

try bocote

That's it..    Thanks.. 

8 hours ago, SLAG said:

Thanks T. P.,

I know bocote well, & have used it often.

SLAG.

Here is a good site for information on the wood if anyone is interested. http://www.wood-database.com/bocote/

Great info..   My friend does composite bowl turnings and is where I got the wood from..  He had a whole bunch of different types.. There was a really nice cherry piece with a cloud type pattern, some Black walnut, rose wood, yellow wood.. But the Bocote struck me as the right amount of contrast.. 

4 minutes ago, buckbrown said:

Put your touchmark on it and it will be a matched set!

LOL..  I don't have a touch mark for cold work.     They all need to be applied to hot metal...  

Only thing I can come up with is to burn it into the handle????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????????

10 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Since the moose bone was a complete bone and not disinfected or aged and when I cut off a piece there was still marrow inside (it was supposed to have died last fall) I decided I didn't want to go through the hassle..  Not only that while some people would think it's neat others would be always worried the moose was shot for the bone..  And lastly just to much white or silver.. .  I wanted to mute or break up all the bright colors and the only other way I was going to achieve that was with an inlay or a change in wood material.     Sorry if the moose bone was a key feature of interest for you and it didn't get used.. 

Ok, I see. yeah, I was a little interested, just to see kinda how it would look. I understand though, and I agree though, that a bone handle would not go well with that knife. None the less and enjoyable process to watch.

Littleblacksmith