I Forge Iron

Need help with the value.

kmac

This was posted on my area craigslist for $150. I have little to know experience with these things. This is the first one I've seen for sale. I will update with more info when the seller responds to my email.

pv1.jpg

pv2.jpg

pv3.jpg

pv4.jpg

pv5.jpg

pv6.jpg

pv7.jpg

Have them wind the screw out so you can see if it is in good shape. The screw and screw box are usually the make or break on vises. Any other part can be relatively easily worked on or fixed. 

That one looks complete. And the jaws look good. Prices vary in different locations. 

I couldn't say for sure in your area. It's on the high end for where I'm at in southwestern PA. depending on the size/ condition.   Maybe someone else could help more on that.  

If I had really searched and hadn't found any others for sale around ( including talking with other blacksmiths in the area) and I needed one, then I might pay that if the screw is in good shape. It's a tool that will last longer then you if you don't absolutely abuse it.  Shouldn't hurt to negotiate a bit either. 

Yes  I went and looked at one last week, asking price was US$80 for a gracile 4" ; but it had been ridden hard and put away wet a number of times.  Anyway I told the fellow I didn't expect him to take it but I'd give $40 for it and pass it on to a needy student.  Well I'll be taking it to Church tomorrow night and passing it on to a needy student  for the same price.

It comes down to how much you want it and how good of shape it's in..  I paid 600.00 for a nicely used  8" columbian...    and the same for an 8.5" un named vise.. 

I also have 4 others in the 6" range that I paid between 50.00 and 75.00 for..   

If everything is in good shape, the screw is good, nothing is missing " it becomes what is the value to you"..   Are they easy to find and plentiful in your area?  Can you talk the guy down some? 

it looks like a Columbian and they make a very good vise..  If it's a 6" or larger I'd buy it if the screw was in good shape.. 

A vise like that will last several generations so really the decision becomes what is the value to you.. 

Passed on the $40 vise to a new guy and he's supposed to come over this weekend and we'll forge a spring for it---a previous owner had tack welded the mounting plate and wedges together to keep them from coming apart since it didn't have a spring---what an idiot, you can even make a good spring cold!

Told the guy who bought the vise that anytime he had doubts I'd happily buy it back for the same amount I sold it---I know; dubious business ethics as he'll be cleaning it up and tweaking it ASAP.  On the other hand I'll happily help him work on it free of charge! (refilled 2 cylinders today, 8.5 gallons of propane US$27.97 El Paso TX---this will probably last me till my enforced down time after surgery)

• 2 weeks later...