I Forge Iron

New hammer.

Any chance you drove over a truck scale on the way home?  Easy way to weigh a mystery.

Given the proportion of trailer tires to hammer size in your last photo I'd now guess you have one of the smaller sizes, perhaps the 55#?  12 foot long trailer? 14'?

No  I didn't stop on scale. Just focused on getting it home in one piece. I'll measure it up

better. But I do know that it will take up about 50 inches of shop space with a 36" base and the counterweight figured in. Any idea how old this hammer is?

No idea how old it is. I think W&W is still in business, but they don't have records from their hammer building days. When you get it off the trailer post more photos and measurements please.

There are lot of ways to do a motor mount. Look at Little Giants center clutch models. I've made a motor mount single piece of heavy pipe up the back of a 50lb LG to place the motor directly overhead, made u bolt/straps to clamp the pipe on. You can go of the side of your machine, and if you get creative you might not even have to dill into the frame. On my Bradley I made a motor mount the bolts onto the foundation bolt hole in the base.

Not the best photo and a different situation, but this attaches to the two 1"foundation bolts and hold a 5hp motor and jack shaft for the slip belt system.

b motor mount.jpg

"Pounding out the Profits", Douglas Freund,  has a number of mentions of Williams and White hammers including that they licensed the Shaw and Justice Dead Stroke Powerhammer and built their first one in 1873 and continued making them for over half a century.

• 4 weeks later...

If you can read the patent # on the plate search the patent servers. If you can dodge all the idiot ads you can learn more than a boy ever wanted to know about . . . things. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.