I Forge Iron

New hammer.

Well, I found my new hammer. 

100# ( or so) Williams power hammer with a different hammer assembly from best I can tell. 

Just need to dig her out. 

Tried it out and it seems to be very responsive. 

Thoughts? Information?

Im planning on selling my homemade leaf spring hammer if anyone in southern michigan is interested. PM me. 

IMG_1342.JPG

IMG_1343.JPG

IMG_1344.JPG

IMG_1345.JPG

IMG_1348.JPG

IMG_1350.JPG

IMG_1351.JPG

Picture of leaf spring hammer 

IMG_1373.JPG

Picture of leaf spring hammer 

Nah. 

It seemed to work great. Not sure why it was modified in the first place. 

Any operational advantages to the original way verses this way?

i may do away with the overhead jackshaft assembly in favor of a side bracket mounted motor like I've seen on the web. Searching for info but not tons out there on these so it seems. 

Anybody got a rough idea on the weight of that thing?

2k?

2500?

my guess, need to size my trailer accordingly. 

My guess is that it broke some leafs somewhere along the way. I have always heard from owners of these and champions thatthey

"hit" harder than the coil spring setups. I could see that after riding in trucks with both coils and leafs, coils absorb shock much better for sure. Great for cars, not sure its as great for hammers. The other advantage is simplicity of mechanism, I agree with you if its not broke why fix it. Awesome hammer, Congrats.

19 hours ago, 58er said:

Im planning on selling my homemade leaf spring hammer if anyone in southern michigan is interested. PM me. 

I'm in northern Ohio, but I doubt I could convince the budget director the Minister of Finance She-Who-Must-Be-Obeyed Lisa that this would be a necessary expenditure.

I'm sure if you explained to her that having a hammer would minimize the pain that results from forging she would HAVE to let you get it. 

What wife wants her husband to be in pain????

(besides mine.......sometimes)

Anyone have an idea of what the rpm needs to be to drive this. 

I will figure it out once I get to touch the hammer again but while I wait I am scheming a way to mount a motor on the frame of hammer off to the side and use a automotive belt to drive it instead of the set up they have now. 

I know it can be done. Just want to have at least an idea in place before I move it into my shop as whether or not I use the ceiling contraption will determine shop placement to some extent. 

Thanks. 

On the left hand side, I'll see if I can find a photo. Does the hammer say 100lbs on it anywhere? My info shows 90lbs being the largest size one piece that W&W made.

The guides seem to be a weak point, I've seen 3 hammers, 2 have had broken guides. If you look at my photo the casting around the bottom of the guides is slightly different.

90 lb ww.jpg

w w.jpg

90 LB.jpg

55 lb.jpg

I'm wondering if broken guides are what caused the switchout of the original leaf spring set up on this machine to what's there now  

I will look and see next time I'm near it which won't be for a while. I can zoom in on the pics I have and don't see anything as far as cracks but that isn't very definitive. 

The guides on my hammer do look different in the pictures I have. So maybe that, along with your info on broken guides solves the mystery as to why the change was made. 

Are the guides in your pictures repairable with a good clean/bevel/weld?

i did not see 100# any where on hammer. 

That info came from person whom I bought it from and he may have heard it from the guy he bought it from. 

I'll go with your literature over here say. 

Where did you get literature?

got anything else?

thanks 

Guides likely cast iron maybe flip upside down and bolt steel flat bars over the top, that photo is from a smaller hammer 35 or 55lb. That's most of the info I have if I find anything new I'll send it to you. The pulley and fly wheel look a little smaller on your hammer I wounder if yours matches the diameter in the specs.

As far as leaf springs hitting harder, I think it might have more to do with the length of the horizontal toggle arms rather than type of spring. Leaf spring hammers look like they have longer toggles.

I had the guy measure the round base and it measured around 36"

at first I thought that must be what the "floor space" measurements on the literature were referring to which would make it a 35# hammer which seemed odd. 

The more I thought about it I'm thinking the " floor space" measurements referr to the amount of space the entire machine takes up, vertical, parts and all , so I had him give me rough measurements of that which he said were " a little over 4' or so" which go in line with the 4'5" listed on the chart. 

That brings me back to 4400#. 

Ill take more measurements next time I'm there. 

Thanks for info. 

• 4 weeks later...