I Forge Iron

CruForge V

lanternnate

I've been using scrap steel to date, some known some unknown. I'm going to order some "real steel" with my next round of buying other bits like handle scales and pins. There are the tried and true options of 1080 or 5160, but if I'm buying stuff purpose special for forging knives I wanted to look into some of the specialty steels. One criteria is I want to be able to heat treat myself with my forge, which cuts out a lot of the specialty steels. Two possibilities that I found were 80crv2 and CruForge V. I'm intrigued by the CruForge V because it says it was designed with forgers in mind, the sizes it comes in look right for forging, and it has a high carbon content while claiming to be easy to heat treat. I did some research and the main complaint was it is hard to finish, which has the flip positive that it has great wear resistance. I'm wondering if anyone has any personal experience with it and could provide feedback if it really is home heat treat capable. I tried doing a search of the site and got very few hits. The only known steel I've done so far was 5160, which I had success with.