I Forge Iron

New Shop at Gidgegannup

Gentlemen have started modifying the lean to off the main workshop.  Bench has gone in, built against the end wall, posts set into the ground, bench top 4'' Jarrah, 10 inches wide, 4 inches thick and about 10' long. Vice has been set into the ground and bolted onto the bench.  An extra pipe set to support the roof, door post set, I am using Jarrah bridge timbers I got for a carton of beer as a feature front wall, they are about 8 inches thick and about a 1.5 feet deep. I have been flooring one half of the shop with jarrah bridge decking, will leave the floor around the forge and anvil stand  sand, for softer footing and less chance of fire starting on the floor from hot slag etc.  Still quite away to go, will put a stoop out the front and concrete that area so horses have a good spot to stand when being shod. We moved the forges in and the anvil and stand, they will be moved about as I still have to level the floor out where they sit.  Will put more pictures in over the next few months. 

Cheers 

HeelerauP1020581.thumb.JPG.f424cdb88547ebd029a3ac707889a6ac.JPGP1020582.thumb.JPG.9efa15e64d7dc25ddaa2431bc5afe283.JPGP1020583.thumb.JPG.b7c580cc67b52feda36e041745c53a54.JPG 

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 4 weeks later...

Dave and I did some more work on the shop yesterday,  got all the timber walling up to head hight and now sheeting with tin, also put the rest of the sleeper floor down, now just have to bring the work area floor up to level with sand. Post drill mounted, still have to sort the roof out, and build a front stoop which will have a concrete floor and install the hood over the main forge. P4290023.JPG.149585c4bc59075de2ab89e24a5049ca.JPGP4290021.JPG.700d7b5cbe20cd3f4b34d0606ce660db.JPGP4290022.JPG.5fbba73ba58f738345d1f397f839149c.JPGP4290020.JPG.00eaa1189aec66ed5b22ce4fc425a30d.JPG

cool setup, see if you can get some crusher dust instead of the sand for the floor, it will pack down tighter and not loosen anywhere near as much under foot. That tin your putting along the front, you could convert some of that to prop up windows to give a bit more ventilation / light.

Jack,  will likely put a final level of crack dust down on the sand floor for that reason.  My son in law and a mate and I just redid the roof, and put more fall on it as it leaked badly, also rolled the far edge down as flashing and closed the gap you can see in the back of the shed in the tractor photo. I will put a window where the post vice is and may even put in a skylight. Should get a fair bid done when I get back from work in a couple of weeks. Thanks for your interest. 

On 4/3/2017 at 5:56 PM, Heelerau said:

Vice has been set into the ground and bolted onto the bench.

P1020582.thumb.JPG.9efa15e64d7dc25ddaa2431bc5afe283.JPG

You should probably put something under the foot of that vise, to direct the force directly to the ground. A length of vertical pipe should do it, especially if you weld a flat plate to the bottom as a foot.

Gentlemen, it will be hot work in the smithy and plenty of mates will drop round for a wee drop or two o cider hence the size of the barrel.   Heeler ay you, I was a team roper for years and heeled, although for a heeler when we had 3 loops at a rodeo I got pretty good at catching heads !!   My lay out is ver similar to the smithy we had on the sheep and cattle station that I was born on, that my late father managed. We had a large barrel in that forge till the hoops rusted, these are in fact galvanised. 

Mr. Heelerau,

"heelerau" = ?

Team roper = ?

heeled =?

"3 ropes at a rodeo" = ?

"catching heads" = ?

My Strine education is deficient. (almost non-existent).

Could you please provide me / us with a translation?

I thank you.

SLAG.

4 hours ago, Heelerau said:

I was once a champeen cow disturber !

You guys are kind of strange down under, we roped steers not cows. Oh WAIT, do you make their mothers watch? That IS disturbing. 

I wasn't much good at roping but was known to throw a loop in my day. For you folk who aren't familiar with team roping, this is the first video I got on a Google search. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekrrd5uVlEA

If you want a real rush you ought to try barrel racing.

Frosty The Lucky.

We team rope steers down under,  I have in fact a nice team roping arena down on the bottom of our place.  I got into rodeo pretty late in life, my late father who rode bulls for a buckjump show back in the 1920's would not let me ride rough stock as a kid, mind you I did near on twist  a knee off in a roping accident 15 years ago and boy am I paying for it now !! We even have a Texican down under I have heeled for, in fact a number of expat American cowboys came down under in the late 50's and early 1960s and got our roping up to speed. 

Cheers 

Gordon

• 3 weeks later...

Today we finished tinning the front wall,  door stop in, and cracker dust watered and compact for the forge to sit on. The forge is sitting on 4 clay pavers so it hopefully won't settle to much. Hood on and through the roof, son in law is a roof leader so he has flashed the joint ing fine and mastered any holes in the roof as we used old corrugated iron. Will fire the forge up tomorrow and see it the hood needs any mods. P1020662.thumb.JPG.157b76f38782f90e0148203d65ffc403.JPG

The hood will draw better if you screw on some sheet metal to the front to make the opening smaller and lower. Say around 16" or so.  Hard to tell from the photo but if there isn't a pass through on the other side of the forge you may want one if working any longer stock.

I am actually thinking that eventually I will cut a hole in the back and cut back the right hand side for better access, and yes I intend to add some sheet to the front with a view of improving the chimney draw. Thanks for the interest. 

I have now added the front sheet as advised with about 16 inches of clearance, I will make any other mods if and when needed. Shop is now pretty much ready to go. Will do the stoop during my holidays in spring. I have placed everything where I want it,  so will get to a light a fire in the next day or so. It is a ver rustic farm smithy, and only cost me a couple of cartons of beer and about $70 in bolts and hardwareP1020665.thumb.JPG.b0b58d571afaf25370fac274118b2770.JPGP1020667.thumb.JPG.e080892f65780be474993251c0e8a33c.JPGP1020663.thumb.JPG.68539342642e5208a8487024a0d3acc8.JPGP1020664.thumb.JPG.b57a838631543f08729faf270f6a873a.JPG

See how you go with that anvil stump, you might need to trim it a little on the sides (ends?)  if it gets in the way when working metal around the horn / hardie areas, will depend on what you are doing and how long it is.

Otherwise looks a schmiko setup, just needs a sign over the top of the door - either the traditional " Blacksmith" or something politically incorrect like "Mancave - No Shiela's allowed"  :)

I finished up firing up the forge, knocked up a hoof pick and made a couple of staples to finish locking the anvil on the block, At this point the size of the stump is not a problem, but if it does become one, a tough up with the Stihl should sort that out !! Funnily enough the War Office is pretty excited about the smithy as well,  I have been talking of putting in one for donkeys years, must not rush !!!