I Forge Iron

News Interview at Crabtree Forge

Hey everyone, It has been awhile since I have posted on iforgeiron but I have been pretty busy. In the last few months I have been taking welding classes at southwestern illinois college and after talking to a few people about blacksmithing they decided to do a few newspaper articles and even had the local news station come out to the shop and do an interview. I have it on youtube.com , you can search for it as "Blacksmithing at Crabtree Forge" or click on the link YouTube - Blacksmithing at Crabtree Forge

please let me know what you think of my work.

it was a comissioned peice, im charging them around $1000 for it, and they got a really good deal. I have been working on it for awhile now. The 2nd half is almost done, Ill post pictures when I get it all welded together. I need to forge 2 more swans, 1 more rose, and 2 S scrolls and thats it. then its off for powder coating.

I know a lot of guys who can do the work but not that many with a good patter. Doing a good interview isn't as easy as it may look. You can't buy publicity like that.

It won't be long and I'll be telling my envious friends I knew Dan back when. . .

Super job Dan.

Frosty

Thanks for the very kind words from all of you. I just got the drawings together for a gate at the top of a stairway and will be looking forward to sharing them with all of you when it is done. It is nothing to complex, s scrolls at the top and bottom and vertical bars that are twisted running inbetween. I did undersell myself on that gate but everyone has to get their foot in the door some how and I saw that as an opertunity so I took it. Thanks for all your support and I will try to repay you as best I can with my advise and opinion on Iforgeiron.com

Thanks for the very kind words from all of you. I just got the drawings together for a gate at the top of a stairway and will be looking forward to sharing them with all of you when it is done. It is nothing to complex, s scrolls at the top and bottom and vertical bars that are twisted running inbetween. I did undersell myself on that gate but everyone has to get their foot in the door some how and I saw that as an opertunity so I took it. Thanks for all your support and I will try to repay you as best I can with my advise and opinion on Iforgeiron.com

I think you must be running for something, and just a kid(Oh to be young again)
Very nice Dan, good work and good interview, they are hard to do.

Ya I want to be President, just trying to win over the blacksmith delegates.

Take it from me, you can be president even if you don't particularly want to be.

All I had to do was not say NO loudly nor quickly enough and the guys made me the club's coordinator. Coordinator is about as close to a president as AK smiths were willing to have.

Heck, last meeting I excused myself to hit the can and I think I got reelected!

Be careful what you wish for you might get it.

Frosty

Nice score on the interview, sometimes they produce customers and in my experince sometimes they don't but either way it is really good PR for you and the craft in general. It could even help make a sale for someone as far away as I am, thanks. Your products looked good.:) As far as the price that depends on if you are making enough to stay in buisness, not what others may think, you want to be so effient that everyone thinks there is no way they could compete with you but you think that you are making a killing.;)

As Frosty mentioned having a small bladder can cause you all sorts of grief.

Hey Dan,

You sure were cool under the eye of national TV. Well done indeed! Good idea making an internet video out of it too. And then sharing it with us is well appreciated by all of us. The accolades of all these senior members' and friends is well deserved. Your folks must be really special too. Good for them supporting you. After all, just about every boy is interested in knives and swords, but not all of them get that kind of support and have that kind of personal drive (or a power hammer).

Bravo! Well done indeed!

Mahalo (thanks), Phil