I Forge Iron

Blacksmithing Myths

What are your favorite Myths.

" Like if you spit on an anvil put a piece of hot metal on it and hit it with a hammer the hammer will be launched through the roof."

"Viking swords were quenched in the blood Of_______________"

"putting a penny in the fire will keep you from being to forge weld"

50 minutes ago, Tubalcain2 said:

my smithing friend/mentor who I bought most of my equipment from swears that if you leave your hammer on the face of your anvil overnight  the devil gets into it and everything you make the next day will come out wrong. :unsure:

So that is my problem.  I am going to stop doing that!!!

There is the one that you should start and end the day by "ringing" your anvil 3 times to drive the devil away.

Most of the one I know deal with bladesmithing---like needing to quench a blade in a North/South alignment to prevent it from warping.  Or that edge packing makes the steel denser. Or that the quenchant can change the elemental composition of the steel. Or that repeated folding and welding increases the carbon content of the steel.

A modern myth would be that methods specifically worked out for use with wrought iron and wrought iron derived steels can improve modern steels with their use on them.

13 hours ago, Frosty said:

All blacksmiths shoe horses. 

We all smell like coal smoke.

Frosty The Lucky.

I don't shoe horses, but I have been known to shoo horses.  Especially when the neighbor's horse gets into my chicken feed.

45 minutes ago, John B said:

Everybody elses metal stays hotter longer than yours does.

I had a friend out to forge with me, and he claimed that the metal moved easier because of my hammer. geez.

Littleblacksmith

8 hours ago, Tubalcain2 said:

my smithing friend/mentor who I bought most of my equipment from swears that if you leave your hammer on the face of your anvil overnight  the devil gets into it and everything you make the next day will come out wrong. :unsure:

uh ohh!!!!!!!!!

I was with my horseshoeing mentor long ago when we got a call from a San Pedro salvage yard. They had a Hay-Budden anvil for sale. We drove over for a looksee, and it was a good one attached to a metal stand. I said that I wanted it for the price they were asking, and after the transaction, Al, the mentor, separated it right away from the stand. He said he was looking for a silver dollar as some of the old smiths would have one between anvil and stand (or stump) for luck...kind of like ship builders "step a mast." There was no silver dollar.

4 hours ago, olfart said:

I don't shoe horses, but I have been known to shoo horses.  Especially when the neighbor's horse gets into my chicken feed.

I'd never shoo a horse, in fact I try to lure them close enough to pet. Of course we don't have chickens and the goats are long gone so no feed thievery to worry about.

Frosty The Lucky.

Although the origins are not exactly known, it is believed that the horseshoe became the symbol of luck when the eighth century Chaldeans thought its crescent shape represented various moon goddesses thus protecting against the curse of the evil eye.

Others say the horseshoe myth dates back to a 10th century blacksmith named Dustan, the patron saint of blacksmiths

Some say the ends should point up, so that the horseshoe catches the luck, Others say they should point down, so that the luck is poured upon those entering the home. 

I have been told many times that a blacksmith hangs the horseshoe heels down so the protective powers and good fortune shower upon his anvil, and business.

On 4/2/2017 at 7:15 AM, WayneCoeArtistBlacksmith said:

I always tell students that if they forge black metal they will pee in bed tonight.  That sure gets the younger ones to quit that and the older ones get a good laugh.

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne

That's a good one Wayne! Kids don't take the going to hades line seriously but bed wetting is another thing. 

Consider that one adopted with elation!

Frosty The Lucky.

I had one student that was about 15 that would go to conferences or meetings with me.  When I would pick him up I always would ask him, "Do you have clean underwear on?"  He always had a funny look on his face when he would answer, "Yes."

I don't think that was something that his parents would ask him but when I was a kid (many,,,many years ago) that was a common question.  The concept was, "What if you were in an accident and were taken to the hospital?"

Having been raised in southeastern New Mexico where it could be comfortable, or even hot in the day but cold when the sun went down I was frequently asked, "Have you got a coat with you?"

I still always carry a coat if I am leaving home in the evening.

Wayne

On 4/1/2017 at 9:50 AM, ThomasPowers said:

There is the one that you should start and end the day by "ringing" your anvil 3 times to drive the devil away.

Most of the one I know deal with bladesmithing---like needing to quench a blade in a North/South alignment to prevent it from warping.  Or that edge packing makes the steel denser. Or that the quenchant can change the elemental composition of the steel. Or that repeated folding and welding increases the carbon content of the steel.

A modern myth would be that methods specifically worked out for use with wrought iron and wrought iron derived steels can improve modern steels with their use on them.

I always thought packing was BS.  I hear about it all the time online and in old texts, but it never seemed right.