I Forge Iron

Ever had a song stuck in your head?

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes, many times, though usually not more than a day or two.  Often hymns or choir anthems, or something I like to whistle.  In the latter category would be stuff like the Arkansas Traveler and the Irish Washer Woman--fun with places for embellishment.

3 hours ago, John in Oly, WA said:

For the last week I've had Jo Stafford's "You Belong to Me" going over and over in my head. And of all songs that could be stuck in my head, it's a pretty good one.

You might be dating yourself. One time, Jo Stafford released a hillbilly version of "Temptation" which the record label called, "Timtashun. She used the name Cinderella G. Stump. " It's a real hoot. Another time, she sang one of her songs totally and purposely out of tune, which I imagine would be hard to do, if you're used to singing on tune.

Yes, I've had stuck songs most recently, "Don't Fence me in."

"Earworm," eh? Good term it's adopted! When in a mood I often whistle or "sing" The "Drunken Sailor" chanty though I don't know what it's properly called. "What do you do with a drunken sailor, earlEYE in the morning?" LOTS of room for adlib verses, a real mood matcher.

Lately I've been listening to Leonard Cohen's "Hallelujah" and find myself singing it silently. My favorite versions so far are one of Cohen's early versions, K.D. Lang's 2010? Olympic performance and a Bon Jovi version. It's a real earworm, especially if you're feeling down.

Frosty The Lucky.

Arkansas Traveler and Irish Washer Woman both familiar tunes, though I never knew I knew them.

Timtashun - just funny!

Frosty - it's "Drunken Sailor".
And I've had "Hallelujah" stuck in my head fairly recently too. There are a lot of good verses to that song that never seem to get recorded.

Always have had problems with my ears, I get those "earworms" all the time. LOL

Ohhhh, I've hade many songs stuck in my head. Just about every song by Alabama, a couple songs by John Denver, "the gambler" by Kenny Rodgers, copperhead road, "friends in low places", and currently stuck on "high cotton"-Alabama.

Littleblacksmith

Well dang it...just after looking at this post I happened to run across a craigslist ad for the same old 6-wheelers that were used in the 1968-1970 kid's show "The Banana Splits".  Now that darned theme song is an earworm the size of an anaconda.

Just to torture the rest of you...

19 minutes ago, littleblacksmith said:

Ohhhh, I've hade many songs stuck in my head. Just about every song by Alabama, a couple songs by John Denver, "the gambler" by Kenny Rodgers, copperhead road, "friends in low places", and currently stuck on "high cotton"-Alabama.

Littleblacksmith

you got me singing the gambler now.;)

Man I was tempted to not click on it, but i did! why????!!!!!

It's alright T2, its a good song, catchy too, and not really any notes that are high, so I can get by singing a little!:lol:

Littleblacksmith

Don't remember the Banana Splits theme. . . WHEW! However a contemporary TV theme Earworm did crop up. "Hey hey we're the Monkeys! Come and watch us sing and play!"

Hoyt Axton, "Dela and the Dealer." "Wild Bull Rider." "Ramblin Rose." Too many Simon and Garfunkle songs to name, terse soul that I am.

There is another that just reminded me of itself by humming a few bars. "Down in the Silver Mine" by, . . .  Golden Earring?

Frosty The Lucky.

At the moment, "We're an American Band" by Grand Funk Railroad, but that's largely because Mel Schacher was just on my flight from Detroit to Cleveland. 

Odd coincidence: that song was produced by Todd Rundgren, for whom Lisa played backup on one of his Ohio concerts a few years back. 

Oh man. Back in my ole tree climbing days I had a foreman who was constantly whistling "This old man", out of tune, no less. Cringe...   'This old man, he played 1, he played knick nack.........  aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhh it's back!

Steve

Way back in the 1960's, I would be traveling from horse to horse with my farrier-mentor, and at odd times, he would break into this song verse from "The Prisoner's Song,"

Oh, if I had the wings of an angel, Over these prison walls I would fly. I would fly to the arms of my darling, And there I'd be willing to die.

It might've been the only song that he knew.