I Forge Iron

Whats the best way to make a stand for this anvil

Hi, brickman, and welcome to IFI!

Nice anvil you've got there. Take a look at some of the threads in the Anvil section; you'll find a lot of discussion of different kinds of stands, different ways of attaching anvils to stands, proper height of the anvil, and so on. As with everything here, your question has already been covered numerous times, and you'll do well to do your research before asking something basic. If you still have questions after reading all that, we're here for you.

That said, I've become a big fan of a metal tripod attached to the anvil with silicone caulk, and I recommend it highly.

Thank you! The search function on the site didnt realy do me well when i tried it so i thought i would ask. I'm actually at work right now so i didnt want to dig through threads. I'll do that when i get home and remember for the future! thanks for the advice! 

1 minute ago, brickman said:

The search function on the site didnt realy do me well when i tried it

Pro tip: Don't bother with the search function in the forum software; it's quirky. You will get much better results from doing a google search and including "site:iforgeiron.com" as one of your search terms.

as Jhcc said but also the face of the anvil should be at wrist height so that you stand up straight and avoid back pain.  For dressing the edges of an anvil I place a straight edge along the edge from 0" to about 3.8" and use a grinder to radius to the line.  I do this for both edges so that they are the same on both sides. 

Let me know if I can help you.

Wayne.

Brickman, the  solidest, cheapest, easiest, fastest to make stand, I've ever seen is a plywood box, filled with sand. You can add or subtract sand until you find "your" best working height. Build it high enough so scale or sand can build up around the feet, which will quiet it down, and keep it in place. Easy to add a tool rack to, in any configuration "you" find works for you. 

Al 

1 hour ago, PVF Al said:

Brickman, the  solidest, cheapest, easiest, fastest to make stand, I've ever seen is a plywood box, filled with sand. You can add or subtract sand until you find "your" best working height. Build it high enough so scale or sand can build up around the feet, which will quiet it down, and keep it in place. Easy to add a tool rack to, in any configuration "you" find works for you. 

Al 

Huh, i would have never thought of that. i have a lot of 3/4inch plywood around my garage, i would need to look up how exactly they put this together though, it seems not as sturdy? but i guess with the sand that really solidifies it.. 

I was planning on doing a stump, but i am having a hard time locating one.. I guess i could just go cut one in the woods off a fallen tree but then i have to go get a wood harvesting permit i believe.

2 minutes ago, JHCC said:

If you've got plywood, go for it. You'll just need to source the sand.

Check out this thread for more info.

That paints a better picture in my head, lol. i was imagining something different.. Sand isn't an issue where i'm at, for one it's been raining like crazy the last few months so everywhere has sandbags for sale for pennies on the dollar, and for two the beach is like 45 mins away. This looks promising. =D thank you for that

My pleasure. There are a couple more threads on sandbox stands, so check those out too.

One nice advantage of a plywood stand is that it's easy to screw brackets and racks on the outside for your tools, fixtures, etc.

• 2 weeks later...