I Forge Iron

Grinder Area

I am gonna set up a dust extraction set up. My plan is to run everything to a spark arrester. Then directly out of the shop. What size motor and blower am I gonna need to set this up? And does anybody have any recomendations for a specfic motor/blower source. I am looking for a quiet one.

20170329_143417.jpg

This is a first blush speculation by a guy who'd have to research things to have a real opinion. I know they make spark "proof" cyclonic dust separators. Seen them in metal shops for decades.

I think the real trick is effectively collecting dust at the grinder without the collector becoming a hazard to safe operation.

Frosty The Lucky.

15 minutes ago, Frosty said:

This is a first blush speculation by a guy who'd have to research things to have a real opinion. I know they make spark "proof" cyclonic dust separators. Seen them in metal shops for decades.

I think the real trick is effectively collecting dust at the grinder without the collector becoming a hazard to safe operation.

Frosty The Lucky.

Sounds good. 

9 hours ago, Frosty said:

Frosty The Lucky.

I was asking about "if anybody has or knows where" a specific type of motor blower. Not the actual dust system. Thanks for your Advice. 

If you ant a quiet one use a bathroom exhaust fan. If you want one that's going to be directly exposed to the dust you'll want to find one that TEFC from what I've read. The exhaust fans are relatively cheap and you can get setup now and see if it works. I cannot remember exactly the outlet size in them but I'm thinking it's about 3" so you can have it blow into a pvc pipe and out the shop wall with it to a nice dryer vent cover with the flaps to keep some of the bugs from coming in and nesting in it.

I'd definitely take heed to what Frosty suggested about the spark arrestor and cyclonic separator. Then you don't have to blow it out into the yard killing the grass where the trash accumulates. 

The bathroom exhaust fans (aka "fart fans") aren't nearly powerful enough to do what you are wanting.  They range from around 40 to 100 CFM and the 3" or 4" orfice just won't have the capacity for dust extraction.  Search for dust extraction for better results, just my 2c worth....

59 minutes ago, arkie said:

The bathroom exhaust fans (aka "fart fans") aren't nearly powerful enough to do what you are wanting.  They range from around 40 to 100 CFM and the 3" or 4" orfice just won't have the capacity for dust extraction.  Search for dust extraction for better results, just my 2c worth....

That very well might be true but he insist he wants quiet which is why I made the suggestion. He was given a good suggestion and shrugged it off so I thought I'd tell him what he wanted.

They might perform better if you choked it down to a smaller pipe such as a 2" pipe. I know the ones I've used in the past for forge blowers produced quite a bit of site when running through 2" pipe. Of course you'll also want a smaller opening for the entrance as well to get the most suction from it you can. 

External "baghouse".  Having a couple of pretty large systems at my business workshop, I can say that there is no such thing as "quiet" unless you move the main body of the thing out of the shop.  The motors aren't that noisy but even the best radial fan used on these drones on loud enough to be obnoxious.

I'd also recommend overkill if you can on CFM and static pressure.  More air movement really does make a huge difference.  

The cheapest "KISS" solution might be a smaller unit if you are using only a single machine at a time--I do have one of these on the sandblast cabinet and it might be enough on a single belt grinder to be adequate.  http://www.harborfreight.com/13-gallon-industrial-portable-dust-collector-31810.html These aren't great---but cheap and they do get a job done. Be sure to use locktite on EVERY bolt or they will rattle themselves apart.

The bigger one I have at home is a wonderful machine--I'd highly recommend it although there would need to be some bag modification for belt grinding  http://www.grizzly.com/products/3-HP-Dust-Collector-with-Aluminum-Impeller-Polar-Bear-Series/G1030Z2P   The value is there on this machine and it really "sucks".

1 hour ago, arkie said:

This is correct.

Design of a dust extraction system is non-trivial.  Velocities must be maintained for proper material transport, code compliance is required for the design (including the outlet location), spark protection and explosion relief vents may be required, and you can get into a lot of trouble combining materials collected (i.e. metal particles and wood dust).  In addition to the ducting being the correct diameter, the fittings should be smooth and long radius, you should have cleanouts at all 90 deg. bends and some method of safely separating and collecting your dust. 

As noted by others, I've never seen one that could be termed quiet.  Putting it outside or in a dedicated room is probably a good idea.  High static is typically required to keep the velocity high in the ducting due to the extra friction that entails.  You have  a very nicely setup shop, I'd be careful about compromising with the dust collection.

Cheapest option I've seen work fairly effectively is a bucket of water suspended below the grinder platen where the bulk of the sparks go.

29 minutes ago, Latticino said:

Cheapest option I've seen work fairly effectively is a bucket of water suspended below the grinder platen where the bulk of the sparks go.

Yes, when I get my grinder built, I'm planning to just aim the sparks into a metal trash can or bin and contain most of the grit that way, as it doesn't float around in the air, like smoke or wood dust does.  Maybe handling grinding particles that way and using a fume extractor for airborne smoke would be a good hybrid approach.  -- Dave