I Forge Iron

Practice knife

lanternnate

A friend would like me to try to make a certain style knife for him. It involves several things I hadn't tried yet including a scandi grind, jibbing, and using micarta instead of wood. Rather than jumping right into attempting the requested knife I had a go at a practice knife to test out some of these things. The real knife will be new 1080 with purchased micarta scales. For this one I used a piece of scrap John Deere mower blade (5160) that had previously been foolishly pounded on in an I'll conceived early attempt at forge welding. For the handle scales I made my own micarta from old ripped jeans and resin. This was also practice in trying to flatten a mangled piece. I couldn't fully undo those previous hammer blows, but got it to a usable while roughish look. I don't have a flatter yet, so just practicing trying to work into finishing hammering. Could have probably ground to smooth, but I kind of liked that it still had the mower blade part number and decided not to grind past that. I messed up the heat treat on first go, and redid it without normalizing first resulting in a good warp. I was able to correct the warp after tempering by using the three pressure point process applied a couple times in strategic spots. Next time I will reset back through a full normalizing cycle  I if the first go is a miss. I learned a good bit on this one, and I now feel a little better prepared to take on the real knife with the new materials.

IMG_20170327_222326426.jpg

IMG_20170327_222306961.jpg

IMG_20170327_221824481.jpg

IMG_20170327_221804926.jpg

Some of the evolution shots.

IMG_20170326_205343446.jpg

IMG_20170226_194038767.jpg

IMG_20170226_171333026.jpg

IMG_20170221_200546407.jpg

IMG_20170220_120031239_HDR.jpg

The resin was automotive fiberglass resin. I'm not sure if I will have a go at making the scales myself again or not. It's a bit of a messy process, and with the cost of resin not a significant savings over just purchasing made scales. It was a good learning experience though.

The micarta looks like it came out nice. Well done. Even if you can't save a whole lot doing it yourself, you can always have the added benefit of saying you made everything on the knife yourself, and making it exactly how you want. 

The knife looks nice as well.