I Forge Iron

Fisher double screw post vise

JT

I posted this vise as described by the seller as a Trenton Vise.. but found out it is actually a Fisher vise.. well it just sold, and it went for $270.00.. with fees and tax, a total of $314.82... was it a deal ?? the jaws were 6 1/2" wide and I'm guessing around 150 Lbs.  njanvilman thought the jaws were fine and not altered...  JT

6897[1].jpg

6898[1].jpg

6899[1].jpg

1 hour ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

I can relate...

well....  I didn't say I didn't get it !!   lol   I did !!,  just not for $83.00  lol..  I decided to go for it after you said the were going for quite a bit ..

8 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

I've seen them go well over a grand on eBay. 

Reminds me of the time I accidentally bid $2,500 when I meant to bid $25.00...:huh:

oops ! ouch, that can hurt !! lol  thanks for the info.. JT

20 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Reminds me of the time I accidentally bid $2,500 when I meant to bid $25.00...:huh:

Many yrs. ago my dad's partner blew his nose at a Horse Auction and bought a race horse!  after a couple hrs and a number of phone calls my Dad sold the horse for most of what it had cost.  Partner lost a couple $100 but learned a valuable lesson.  As my Dad said "cost money to go to school" 

8 hours ago, ThomasPowers said:

Memo to self: put items in Auction when C-1 is attending!

HaHaHa !! good one !!

6 hours ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

It is sorta fun, though, being the guy that 10 people just can't outbid...:lol:

unfortunately I once got caught up in a auction on eBay for a antique bicycle part.. waiting for the last second to put a high bid in figuring no one would get over me... but as luck would have it so did  "Jessie James" (antique bicycle owner and motorcycle fabricator) at the same time... only mine was a larger number WOW !! what a slap in the face that was !! it took a while to get over that one.. lol 

2 hours ago, jlpservicesinc said:

Nice.. Always wanted one.. Congrats on you new vise.. Can't wait to hear how you like it.. 

thanks !! I'll probably go pick it up Thursday or Saturday .. JT

21 hours ago, John in Oly, WA said:

I can't help but keep coming back to this post (wee pun). :D 

Keep drooling over this parallel jaw vise.

Hi John, thanks, I was going to pick it up today... but looks like Saturday morning !! JT

well I brought it home today !! now that I can get a better look at it its actually a #4 and has 6 1/4" jaws not 6 1/2" and weights 120lbs. on my bathroom scales ( must be getting weaker feels much heaver.. lol ) still heavy though.. jaws look good and have good serration still , I can't see a date although it could still be hiding under some grime.. on the front it looks to have possibly said " Fisher "  and under that maybe a design ( possibly the eagle ? ) and under that  " Norris "   then up and down under that it says " Trenton "  JT

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure yet.. I cleaned it a little to see it better, mostly just built up layers of old oil .. might just wire wheel and oil it. or just leave it as is.. it defiantly won't rust !! lol   

6 hours ago, njanvilman said:

If there is a date, it will be on the inside under the jaw on the fixed half.  About half were dated.

Hello njanvilman !! I've wire wheeled and cleaned that area but see no signs of a date on this one.. JT

19 hours ago, JT said:

Hello njanvilman !! I've wire wheeled and cleaned that area but see no signs of a date on this one.. JT

Post some pics after you get it cleaned up!  

I passed on a #6 recently....guy wanted $1K but both jaws had been broken off and welded back many decades ago.  It was really fixed nicely, and the jaws still lined up perfectly, but I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for it.

njanvilman said the jaws on these vises were originally welded on from Fisher .. I can see where mine are welded .. he said this is correct and the way they were made.. those on the one you were looking at are probably factory correct ... JT

2 hours ago, JT said:

njanvilman said the jaws on these vises were originally welded on from Fisher .. I can see where mine are welded .. he said this is correct and the way they were made.. those on the one you were looking at are probably factory correct ... JT

I should have been more descriptive.  I'm sure the jaw inserts were welded originally...almost have to be with that style.  I was talking about the jaw towers that the jaw inserts are on.  I'm pretty certain this isn't a factory job:

Mail%20Attachment_zpsfjjhuki2.jpeg

fisher_zpspml9uflz.jpg