I Forge Iron

February, 2008

Hillbillysmith

I think for this month's monthly project, we should pull a "MacGyver". MacGyver is the only person I know of that can take a truck that's been sitting in the middle of a deserted field for 35 years, not running, 4 flat tires, and no gas in it, and get it running in a pinch with bubble gum, duct tape, dental floss and a road flare. LMAO. :D

Ok, so here's the scenario; You and a friend are driving down the road in the middle of nowhere going to a hammer-in ;) and you have a tire on your truck go flat. And I mean FLAT! There's nobody else around and you have a spare tire, but you don't have a tire iron or a jack. But you DO have an O/A torch and tanks, a pry bar, some coat hangers, some various sockets (but no ratchet and one of those sockets just so happens to fit the lug nuts), several 4x4 pieces of lumber of various lengths, a roll of bailing twine, and a couple of cement blocks in the bed of your truck. What do you do? :confused:

Lets see what the goofiest think that you can come up with to change your tire. :P

I think that this will be fun, if I do say so myself. LOL

I guess we're beginners if that is all we have in our truck on the way to a hammer-in. We might not even know how to light the bloody torch. After all we don't even have a jack or lug wrench. Being such dummies we also forgot tips for the torch so we can't use it directly to weld up a lug wrench with the socket, pry bar and coat hangers. We are creative idiots though and jack up the truck with the 2x4's and cement blocks. We did this first because we made charcoal out of the 2x4's afterwards (we're going to just knock the truck off the blocks later). We wanted to make a fire box out of the rim of the flat tire but realized the catch 22 (can't get it off to use it to forge a wrench so we can get it off). Anyway, we dig a hole and make an earth forge with the charcoal we made. We use the oxygen for our blower. We think, hey maybe we'll get lucky and blow ourselves up and not have to go through this ludicrous exercise. But no such luck, we have to forge weld our pry bar and socket together with a couple of rocks sufficient to the task. We manage to get the job done and tire changed. We could have walked on our knees backwards to the hammer-in and back in the amount of time it took us to do all this. When they heard about this at the hammer-in they gave us immediate life-time honorary membership to the Dubious Society of Blacksmithing Buffoons. I think Hillybilliesmith may be its founder and foremost director.

we were on a job on time and had a tire go flat on out dual axle trailer. so we drove the one tire up on a cement block and welded the needed socket to a peice of 1x1 tubing and used an open end ajustable wrench to spin off the lugs. But of cause there was no spare so we just drove'er back to the shop with only one wheel on the side. to this day we still carry the socket welded to the 1x1 on the truck with the rest of our install tools

• 4 weeks later...

take the preybarrr, genttely take apart the car radio, reasemble it with modifications so that it rons on plasma (use the caar battery en the oxygen tank for this) make an anthenna out of the cloth hangers, put this on a post made out of the 2 by 4rs en the concrete blocks, now you have a super charges transmitting device, signal aliens with this, when they come , hold out one hand to signal peace, hid them on the head with the preybarr with the athor, steal theier spaceship, flash to the nearest commet, get some space metals, go to the hamer inn, and impres everyboddy by making a blade out of it that can cut things without touching them.

Cheers,!

• 2 weeks later...

Heat and forge the end of the prybar to fit the drive on the socket ( using the hitch ball for anvil ). Watchfob makes good hammer for this part. Use reciever to bend prybar for handle you just forged. Crack all the nuts on the flat while on ground. Lever the truck up on the block and change flat. Send video of entire episode to Youtube for worldwide viewing ( using your cellphone ). Life is good. You could of course just call Junior and have him come out in his service truck.