I Forge Iron

Need help identifying this coil spring

I have access to track springs from diggers as they break some times especailly they forestry harvesting diggers as they take them in such crazy steep ground they wear a 5 point harness just to stay in the seat!. I have just yesterday forged one of these in the power hammer to make some tooling out of it ended up being 40x40mm square. The strongest track spring I have had apart in the press was a 45 tonne spring. Its going to be interesting to see what properties they have

WP_20170327_13_26_42_Pro.jpg

WP_20170327_15_25_52_Pro.jpg

WP_20170327_15_09_02_Pro.jpg

17 hours ago, BeaverNZ said:

I have access to track springs from diggers as they break some times especailly they forestry harvesting diggers as they take them in such crazy steep ground they wear a 5 point harness just to stay in the seat!. I have just yesterday forged one of these in the power hammer to make some tooling out of it ended up being 40x40mm square. The strongest track spring I have had apart in the press was a 45 tonne spring. Its going to be interesting to see what properties they have.

Holy Cow! That is one thick piece of spring! I'd hate to have to beat that into bar stock!

Cedarghost guy: When you're replying to a post with pics please delete the pics unless one has specific purpose in your reply. It really saves bandwidth, some of us aren't on broadband, some may even be on dialup.

Thanks, Frosty The Lucky.

7 hours ago, cedarghost said:

Makes sense. Will do!

Please don't say dial up. It makes my skin crawl!   :o

the edit button is missing or I would remove the pics for the above reply.

Thanks Frosty

The edit button is only effective for a short time. Don't worry about it, it was a FYI reply.

Hey, dialup put me in contact with the world and blacksmiths all over the world.

Frosty The Lucky.

On 3/29/2017 at 3:17 PM, BeaverNZ said:

I have access to track springs from diggers as they break some times especailly they forestry harvesting diggers as they take them in such crazy steep ground they wear a 5 point harness just to stay in the seat!. I have just yesterday forged one of these in the power hammer to make some tooling out of it ended up being 40x40mm square. 

You are the lucky one..  Nice steel.. :)

I didn't see it mentioned yet, so worth noting: be careful of micro cracks in the steel when working with springs. I personally have not had to deal with it yet (knock on wood) but I've read horror stories of guys working on an extravagant knife from a spring, just to have the piece break later, likely due to a micro crack.

1 hour ago, Will W. said:

I didn't see it mentioned yet, so worth noting: be careful of micro cracks in the steel when working with springs. I personally have not had to deal with it yet (knock on wood) but I've read horror stories of guys working on an extravagant knife from a spring, just to have the piece break later, likely due to a micro crack.

Ouch. Noted.

Why we Don't suggest using part of a broken spring and if possible using low milage automotive springs, a place that does lifts and lowers will often have pretty much unused springs on the discard pile... Much harder to source low use large springs! (But they probably have been engineered for a longer use life too; as the down time costs are often way higher than the material costs)