I Forge Iron

First Forge Build (Ground)

Well, this transpired much quicker than I originally expected. Will definitely raise it off the ground in my next iteration (and convert to iron pipe on the ground as well).

• Hair dryer is my wife's. Just got a little smokey afterwards due to the "feedback" of smoke. Not sure how to remove the scent altogether, but she deserves a new one, if it comes to that, for letting me validate my first-ever [ground] forge build!
  • Pipe is just some underground/overground conduit laying around, no more than an inch or two in diameter.
  • Hair dryer is "attached" to the pipe with a cone made from plain old card stock paper, fitted snuggly, and packing tape to create an air tight seal.
  • Cement "tunnel" is recycled from chain link corner posts previously set in cement. Used to "insulate" the pipe at that end, which still melted, but did not affect operation through the entire process of forging my first RR spike.
  • Some decor blocks used in the back to concentrate the charcoal where the air comes out. Charcoal "coked" over pretty quickly. Or rather, let's just say it didn't take long at all to get that RR spike re-heated each time.

Almost used up half my bucket of charcoal (still some remaining in the pit) forging this one RR spike, but this is my first time forging. RR track, or whatever that curved RR track looking thing is, needs to get mounted or replaced with a regular one because it kept tipping over.

Total cost of this entire setup (forge, "anvil," RR spikes, and ball peen hammer): ~$15

Kudos to my wife for letting me borrow her hair dryer and two sons for helping with pictures and sharing the excitement of dad's new hobby :)

More photos (and a 30s video) available at my Google Photo Album here: https://goo.gl/photos/cxvMMiBufccKDDyU8

IMG_1616.JPG

IMG_1619.JPG

IMG_1621.JPG

IMG_1626.JPG

IMG_1632.JPG

IMG_1650.JPG

IMG_1666.JPG

IMG_1643.JPG

For sure. Having never done this before, I was also looking to verify the heat "capacity" of the random scraps of wood I originally created the charcoal with.

Per my other post on building a Recycled Coca Cola Box Blower, I'm actually looking to repurpose a bathroom fan's blower as an attachment for a 10:1 hand crank so I can also control air flow that way while removing the need for electricity.

Fun stuff!

MB.....We all have to start somewhere. Looks like the only way you can go is up.;) Kudos to the wife for use of the hairdryer. Yeah you should cut back on the air. Give us a general location, and maybe you could get an invite over for a few tips. If your close by me I say come on over.            Life is Good                    Dave 

Nicely done!

One word of caution, though: PVC  pipe can put out some pretty nasty fumes when it melts. Do you replace it with iron as soon as you can, but make sure that the replacement isn't galvanized. 

• 3 years later...

I know this is an old post, but for future readers, another word of caution. Keep concrete away for you forge. The heat of a forge will drive the water bonded in the concrete out in the form of superheated steam, sending concrete shards with it at high velocity. Forging is a fantastic hobby and a fun time with my boys, but I don’t want to have a session end abruptly with a trip to the ER.