I Forge Iron

Just inherited an anvil. Need to know value, age and a bit of history

I am the Technical director for Horn in the West in Boone NC.  We also operate the Hickory Ridge Museum.  We are considering adding a colonial blacksmith shop. I recently inherited an anvil marked 

M&H

ARMITAGE

MOUSE HOLE

FORGE

SHEFFIELD

WARRENTED (Mouse figure) HOLE

PATENT

love to be able to discuss a bit of the anvil's history to visitors.  Can any one help?

If you really want to be able to discuss a Mousehole anvil then order a copy of Richard Postman's history of the Mousehole forge. Its excellent reading and can offer you all the history of the forge and your anvil you will ever need.

3 hours ago, Scrambler82 said:

I was thinking it equals 204; if it is the weight not a serial number or other identifier.

204 lbs would be 1-3-8 ((1 x 112) + (3 x 28) + 8), not 0-3-8. 

I second Fatfudd's recommendation on Postman's book about the Mousehole Forge.  Fascinating reading!  I'm not a history buff by any stretch of the imagination, but my son got me a copy for Christmas a couple of years ago (along with Postman's Anvils in America).  I couldn't put the Mousehole book down!  You can really get absorbed in the way the old anvils were forged and the equipment they worked with.  Every blacksmith should read it, regardless of what kind of anvil they use.

Of course, the anvil will not be colonial historically accurate, but we probably can't afford one of that era.  However, Mouse Hole Forge did begin circa 1685 and weaving a story that incorporates its history should be fascinating enough for even the most discerning visitors.  It is all about the presentation.  We are slowly building the smith shop and could use advise and guidance.  Hickory Ridge Homestead Museum features log cabins that were built as late as 1933.  We celebrate mountain heritage and how we developed.  So equipment from any era that helps us make an interesting display where we can celebrate craftsmanship is appropiate.  Personally I would like to see us be able to hammer out primative hinges and the like.  We have lots of options.

IMG_1395.JPG

IMG_1396.JPG

IMG_1403.JPG

Funny I'd bet a real colonial anvil would be *CHEAPER* than the type wanted by most folks these days.  (they tend to be small and "mis-shapen compared to the "ANVIL" most folks think of.)  Colonial will definitely be a lighter anvil to allow it to be carried into the area by transportation of the time.  Now if you were to buy one of the replica cast of H13, *that* would be very expensive indeed!  

Go to your local public library and ILL a copy of Richard Postman's "Anvils in America" and read up on the colonial anvils.  (And be careful with your preconceptions; if you are a museum you have a duty to the public to get it right if at all possible!  Also read up on the metal used at the time period, real wrought iron, very different than modern steels that came in with the Bessemer/Kelly process in the 1850's.  Though I was reading this morning that as late as 1870 85% to 90% of American made Bessemer/Kelly steel was used strictly for RR rails, unlike in Europe and England...)