I Forge Iron

ITC 100, Flux, Cordierite Kiln shelf

I should be receiving my ITC100 tomorrow, and am curious how I should coat the interior of my forge.  Forge volume is 236 Cu. IN.  10 inches deep by 5 inches wide.  2 inches Kaowool with a pretty thick coating of Meeco's Red Devil 610 (rated at 3000) for my interior.  Everything I've read is to mix my ITC at a 2:1 ratio, ITC to Water.  Once I paint it on to the interior surface of the forge how long should I let it set/cure before I fire the forge?  Can I accelerate the process?  

On a second note, I used Kiln Shelf as the floor and am having issues finding any information on how flux resistant the floor will be?  Its a Cordierite Kiln shelf 3/8" thick, curious how durability will be on my forge floor/walls if or when I start forge welding work.  Also what are the best types of Flux and who to get them from?

Did you Google cordierite before buying it? Maybe compare it's chemistry with what's been said in the gas forges section about what to line a forge with? Ah, of course not nobody does. I'm not picking on you but who knows maybe I can make a convert to doing a little looking before leaping.

A rather protracted Google search, I had to go through a number of search terms before I could get through the advertisements. Anyway, it's MgO, AlO and SiO. It's not a HIGH alumina "AlO" regractory being approx 51% Si, silica which flux loves to dissolve. It says it has excellent thermal shock resistance and low thermal expansion. Both of these are good things and pushing about 34% Al and something like 15% Mg it should be reasonably resistant to flux erosion.

ITC-100 couldn't care less how much molten flux you get on it it's as proof against borax as it gets.

Mix up your ITC-100 then wet the interior of your forge down with clear water, you don't want it dripping but you want it wet. Then apply the ITC, laying a little extra on the corderite kiln shelf floor. Let it dry a day or so, you live in hot dry country I believe so a day should be plenty. 

You'll need to keep stirring the mix every once in a while or the zirconia flour will settle but it's not a quick thing. Don't think you have to use it all just a good solid coat is fine. Keep the can in a safe place, ITC-100 isn't a permanent kiln wash it will wear off eventually and you'll want to touch it up and maybe give it another coat one day.

After it's GOOD AND DRY, fire it for a few minutes and let it cool. Then fire it for maybe 15 minutes and let it cool. Bring it to red heat on the next firing and it should be good to go.

Frosty The Lucky.

Actually I did a lot of research before building my forge and lining it. Kiln shelf made for a much better floor than the fire bricks that are offered locally. Spent plenty of days even a couple weeks doing research with some fruitful results as well as some not so much. With not much background but some common sense I've made a forge that functions well and am trying to fine tune the entire build by coming here before doing anything further, so stating I'm leaping before looking is somewhat foolish.  Regardless thank you for your advice and sharing the knowledge that you have that I don't.

Hmmm Foolish eh? :o Okay, if I'd never chosen a poor term I could take offense.  

You asked for an opinion and I opined on the information you provided. I THINK I said it was a good enough choice but there are better. ITC-100 will protect corderite well enough. I also said it was hard to find the information necessary to know corderite isn't the best choice for a forge floor. I'll cop to not wording that post better.

Call us even on needing some slack? B)

Frosty The Lucky.