I Forge Iron

Dragon's Breath - Normal?

Steven Lancaster

So I just bought my first commercially made forge - a two burner unit from Diamondback. 

I did notice that it has about 6 inches of clear bluish dragon's breath coming out each end. I tried to take a photo, but it is pretty hard to see. 

Basic question, is this normal? Is there anything I should be doing to reduce that from occurring or is it just the way that forges operates?

Thanks!

Steven

IMG_2184.JPG

I have a similar` forge although it is not from Diamondback and it only has one burner.   Some dragons breath is normal although my forge has the same characteristic, too much flames coming out the ends of the forge when the burner is turned up to a good heat.   Mine has a great 1" dia. burner so maybe I should not be complaining.  My forge has no castable refractory lining nor did it have rigidizer on the ceramic insulation, or an IR reflective coating, just barebones on the inside, and it looks like yours is the same.   I am going to guess that yours is working as it should.  How do you regulate the heat, do you have an adjustable regulator or a needle valve, can you turn the burners down to a pleasant idle?  One thing you want to do is build a shelf on each end of the forge to help hold material that is being heated, and you might think seriously about installing a door at each end.   The door does not have to be fancy, I use sliding fire bricks.   I have had mine over a year and am slowing building a new two burner forge. 

To me, Dragon's breath is any kind of exit flame coming out of a forge or casting furnace. However, there can be several different reasons for such flames. When it comes to blue exit flames, they are do to incomplete combustion within the forge, and are full of carbon monoxide; not cool; not acceptable!