I Forge Iron

Making small hammers for fun

Derek Melton

I've been making some smaller hammers lately. Primarily to learn better how to use my new treadle hammer with top and bottom tools. What do y'all think? These are fun to make, made from hexagonal tool steel from old crow bars. Hardens up in water similar to 1045. Handle material here is Purple Heart and canarywood. 

IMG_5633.JPG

IMG_5636.JPG

IMG_5637.JPG

IMG_5667.JPG

IMG_5668.JPG

IMG_5670.JPG

I like those hammer heads, and I think you could enhance the overall look of the tool by just doing a little additional shaping of the handles along the line of the photo below. I don't think it would take much to make them look a little more graceful.  A spokeshave would be a great tool to use for that.  -- Dave

hammer handle.jpg

30 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

look at how chasing hammers are handled.

Didn't know what those looked like, but easily found some images.  Why do they have that large bulb on the handle? Is it a syle thing handed down through the years or does it serve some functional purpose? -- Dave

chasing hammer.jpg

How big a market are you hunting for?  Local community college jewelry making course or a major gem and mineral show?

You missed The MGMS Gem, Mineral, Fossil and Jewelry Show (Mississippi Gem and Mineral Society=MGMS)   on the other hand talking with the jewelry instructor at a community college might turn up what's going on local to you.