I Forge Iron

For the sake of the reliance

templehound

Large hunting folder that has 110 mm in blade length, 2,8 mm in width and measures  240 mm overall.

It has a additional lock for  "the sake of the reliance" ...:D

Steel is 1.2442 (115W8), Indian rose chestnut for the scales, liners and second lock are 6AL4V

and the mechanical parts are made from 1.1274 high carbon spring steel.

cheers

Ki1,k..jpg

Ki2,k..jpg

Ki3,k..jpg

Ki4,k..jpg

Ki5,k..jpg

Ki6,k..jpg

Ki7,k..jpg

Ki8,k..jpg

Ki9,k..jpg

Ki9a,k..jpg

Very nice, been thinking about making a folder myself.

For a beginner, what lock would be the easiest? I think a friction lock would be easiest.... but would like to make an actual "lock".

On 3/21/2017 at 5:51 AM, rockstar.esq said:

Could you explain the locking mechanism?  It looks like a liner lock but I'm not sure how the second lever works.

Beautiful work.

It works like a foot in the door, ...the second lever is just pulled under the spring.

The second lever is hold by a M2 screw with screw head and there is an additional  M2 thread in the liner, so this two threads help the fine adjusting of the lever. To give the right amount of friction and resistance while moving, the lever is also underlaid with a small Teflon washer( like the blade). 

The screw head is secured with a drop of Locktite so it wont get loose after a while.

I have a personal folder with that lock and after two years in daily use the lever has still its tight walk like on the first day.

Thanks rockstar.esq!

Ki9d,k..jpg

Ki9e,k..jpg

Resize of DSC05782.JPG

Resize of DSC05786.JPG

On 3/21/2017 at 6:02 AM, Michael Cochran said:

Looks like the one slides up allowing the liner lock to be pushed over as usual.

There is the lacking in my English that I have doubts that I got You what You mean....

...if You mean the one slides under the other, that it cannot pushed down anymore, than You got it;)...

Ki99,k..jpg

11 hours ago, templehound said:

...if You mean the one slides under the other, that it cannot pushed down anymore, than You got it;)...

That is exactly what I meant. Your English is better than many of the people I interact with daily. It is a shame too because for many of the English is their only language. 

You have a purity of line that never ceases to amaze me, and your technical mastery is equally impressive. Always a joy to see your posts -- if a bit frustrating, as they remind me that I will probably never achieve anything anywhere near that good.

• 1 month later...