I Forge Iron

Coating a forge interior

Hammerfall

This should be tagged as a must see topic at the top of the page as show me your forge, or how to apply a coating to the interior of your forge.

i started with 1" of kaowool. There were a lot of people talking about the wool falling and becoming deformed. Maybe a fair amount of people will search forge coatings and not be as intimidated as I was after googling and reading as much as I did. This was really easy. I laid out cardboard and plastic where I thought I might make a mess. It took about 20 seconds. I mixed up mizzou refractory coating until I liked the consistency. I laid my precut prewetted kaowool out flat. I wet it slightly so the adhesion between the mizzou and wool would be better and the wool was more malleable. I coated the wool and even hit the edges lightly to reduce loose fibers and to promote later adhesion. Once a nice coat was evenly spread I folded it up and slapped it in the forge. EZ peezy. I then set the forge on its end for 15 or 20 minutes. It firmed up enough that I set the forge as it will be used and started filling the seam where the wool came together. I built this up at the bottom, as I had initially planned on putting a firebrick in the bottom of the forge. After some reading I'm going to forge as is for now, without a firebrick as a floor.  Mizzou is supposed to be very flux resistant. We will see. I'm open to criticism so please chim in any time. I was worried about uneven heating because the bottom will be thicker, it decided to roll the dice. It's curing right now and maybe tomorrow I will get to fore it up a few times. I just thought I'd share. Let the hammer fall.

IMG_2878.JPG

Looks good to me, no expert by any means.  I used 2" Kaowool lining, and did a thin coating of Meeco's Red Devil 610.  and glued the Wool to the shell using Furnace Mortar, haven't seen any slumping or deformation at all.  I Don't know if many people use the Meecos, It is very brittle once its heated but I love the fact that it has no set or cure time, can line the wool and fire the forge to bake it in.  My floor i used 1" Kaowool under a 3/8" Kiln shelf and once I got my burner built properly it gets yellow hot in about 5-10 minutes.  I'd like to know how yours is working out, I just barely started and have built 2 forges because my first was absolutely massive and wouldn't heat up.  Can always use ideas for improvement!

Looks good so far. Looks a lot better than my first. I don't however see where you intend to put your burner.

If I'm getting this correctly, it's a 5" ID pipe 10" long, with 1" wool all the way around. So it's roughly a 3"x10" hole? 

Do you have a specific intended purpose for this forge? Only reason I'm asking is because I'm running into the issue of not being able to fit larger things into my forge and when I do, I have to do relief bends. One to get it in the forge then another to work whatever section needs it and repeat. It's definitely doable but kind of annoying. 

Looks pretty good Wiz. If you k now any flooring contractors or stores close by you can pick up linoleum scraps which makes excellent mold material for forges. Roll a length up shiny side out and use it as a form. Wrap the plastered blanket over the form and hold it in place with tape on the seam and slip it in the shell.

I made my second double lined propane forge like this though I used Sonotube (concrete form), the first try didn't work.

Well done Wiz. Carry on. :)

Frosty The Lucky.

Halphwit the forge chamber is 10x5, meaning the open part. I wanted a good size interior for general forging. The overall dimensions are larger. I fired it tonight for a bit over an hour and put firebricks over the ends to let I'd cool down very slowly. Tomorrow I will fire it again at around 500 and repeat the process if I think it's necessary. It is holding up well and seems to be really solid. 

I fired it up tonight. Once it was hot it worked really well. It took a while to get to temperature, but after that is was amazing. I only did two heat cycles. I'll keep everyone posted on how it lasts. I'm starting to think everyone makes building and lining a forge much more complex and technical than it really is to accomplish.