I Forge Iron

An ant

Helloo.  Heres an ant that I made out of some 5" pipe.  I notched four places on the pipe on each end with a torch and then  bent them together for welding to make the body parts.  Next time i think a cut-off wheel would be easier.  No slag.  Usually I let my projects rust outside but I tried painting this one but it turned out horrible so that's why it has that "sandblasted" look to it. lol.  I have a friend that is very talented with an air-brush and painting but i wasn't blessed with that skill.  Try as I might.

20170314_165637.jpg

That's a BIG ant - 5 inch pipe! I like the idea of the brush.

Only one suggestion: the legs should all come from the thorax. The legs protruding from the abdomen look odd. Sometimes you have to slope the back legs well back to get the balance.

I really like him. What Aus said, And he needs some antennae. ( is that the proper way to say it?)  Man he is impressive. Details count when selling a piece. heck details always count. Nothing needs to be exact but the closer the better. Nice work!

Right you are ausfire!  I did some google image research and sure enough, there are none on the back.  I never noticed that as i was making it.  Kind of like a fish with no gills haha.   Daswulf, i put a lot of my things in the garden and flower patch and It'd be my luck to root around pulling weeds and poke my eye out on an antennae.  Mayby if I put a ballbearing or a cork on the end.  I have market garden with a lot of rods for plant cage support and it is an issue if not careful.  You are both right about details too, room for improvement, thanks.  ThomasPowers, thanks for the laugh, i love bgrade hoorror movies.  Now im off to the shop to make some little metal stickmen for my ant to terrorize!

12 hours ago, Nodebt said:

Right you are ausfire!  I did some google image research and sure enough, there are none on the back.  I never noticed that as i was making it.  Kind of like a fish with no gills haha.   Daswulf, i put a lot of my things in the garden and flower patch and It'd be my luck to root around pulling weeds and poke my eye out on an antennae.  Mayby if I put a ballbearing or a cork on the end.  I have market garden with a lot of rods for plant cage support and it is an issue if not careful.  You are both right about details too, room for improvement, thanks.  ThomasPowers, thanks for the laugh, i love bgrade hoorror movies.  Now im off to the shop to make some little metal stickmen for my ant to terrorize!

Big bullet-head nails make good antennae. Blunt side out of course for safety!