I Forge Iron

Chrome plated chain for hold-down?

Almost all of the IFI threads about chrome plating discuss the inadvisability of putting into the fire (forging wrenches and bolts, etc), and are replete with dire (and justified) warnings of the dangers of hexavalent chromium. With one exception (which wasn't really answered fully), I haven't seen any discussion of the possible danger of using chrome-plated items in situations that are hot, but are below forging temps.

So, my question is this: I have an old dog leash made from chrome-plated twist chain that I'm thinking of using as part of a hold-down, the kind that drapes over the anvil with one end fastened and a hanging weight on the other. (I've done a proof-of-concept with cold items, and it works well.) Although the chain won't be going into the fire itself, it will be resting directly on glowing-hot steel. Is this going to heat the plating up enough to be an issue, or can I go ahead? Or is it questionable enough that discretion needs to be the better part of valor?

I realize you are simply trying to re-purpose something around the house.  I'm sure you're going to get a myriad of warnings....just so you can rest well at night, try some old bicycle or motorcycle chain...it lays really flat on the anvil.  I use a length of chain from logging equipment which is like motorcycle chain.  Motorcycle chain on the other hand is getting harder to come by due to the proliferation of belt drive bikes.

(also, this keeps you from having to hang the poor pooch over the anvil...)

Greetings Citizens,

Here is a little information regarding chrome use.

Chrome has a very high melting point.

Namely,   3465 F.   (= 1907C).

Hope that helps with your calculations concerning using chrome plated steel chain, or not.

SLAG.

As seen on dragster exhaust pipes red heat won't degrade chrome plating. I wouldn't give using chromed chain as a HOLD DOWN a second thought. 

Still, as in all things better safe than sorry.

As per Thomas' point.  Typical decorative or "chrome" plated things are first copper plated, then nickle plated lastly chromed. Chrome is actually clear, the shiny silvery stuff is nickle. The chrome is a final weather armor and can be found protecting many things metal like the gold colored hardware, the gold is possibly maybe probably cadmium and VERY TOXIC!

I'd avoid forging or taking a cutting / plasma torch to chrome plated stuff. Either nickle or chrome is pretty toxic stuff as burned.

Frosty The Lucky.

Triple plate is for high end items. The copper is used to smooth the surface, the nickel is to seal it, and the chrome gives the shine. Chrome is porous, so the nickel under it prevents rusting on steel items. When I had my shop we had some items flash chromed with no undercoatings. They were shiny, but you did not want to have them in an area with any moisture for extended times.

Hmmm, that's almost exactly the opposite of what I recall the old man at the chrome shop telling me when I had my bumper chromed. Guess I'll do some reading. He told me they polished the steel first or polishing out any irregularities would polish through the plating. The copper plating prepared the material for the nickle or nickle wants to flake and the chrome was to seal the deal after a final buffing.

Of course that's the TBI survivor relying on his memory I could be wrong. ;)

Frosty The Lucky.