I Forge Iron

600 denier waterfroof canvas for Boat Tops

ronwend523

Looking at an inexpensive solution to bellows material. What are the thoughts about this 600 denier waterproof canvas . I saw a post on YouTube a guy used a vinyl back canvas for his bellows and it worked well. I would be more pliable and not stiff to inflate.

It doesn't need to be fancy, I"ve made improvised bellows from paper bags and cardboard boxes. If you want leather check out the local Salvation Army or thrift store for old leather coats, skirts, etc. an old trench coat or over coat will work a treat as well. Heck I'll bet you could open a seam on an old pair of Levis to cloth a bellows.

Pliable is good but not a must, I've seen pics of bellows with accordian-like pleats in apparently pretty heavy leather.

Frosty The Lucky.

9 minutes ago, Frosty said:

If you want leather check out the local Salvation Army or thrift store for old leather coats, skirts, etc. an old trench coat or over coat will work a treat as well.

Also, keep an eye out for people throwing away leather couches. Carry a utility knife in your car to separate covers from frames.

Inertube material works well, it has a bit of stretch but not enugh to wory about. Viton isn't supper flammable  

myou will cut the thicker strip that goes against the rim off (reserve for valves), this will give you a peice the size of the OD of the tube and a bit over 3 times that length. Readily addapted to constitina bellows

• 4 months later...