I Forge Iron

Just getting started...

Hey everyone! I've just picked up the hobby and started acquiring tools a couple of weeks ago. My focus will be knife-making. Here's what I'm currently working with:

Workbench - 6' x 2' - designed and built this myself out of 2x4s with a 3/4" Red Oak plywood top...thing is sturdy as a boulder. Future plans include adding some shelves and storage areas, possibly drawers. 

17239821_10202921351310125_1954167692789

Anvil - 100# from Texas Farrier Supply
I built the stand out of pressure treated 4x4s with 3/8" all-thread rod to connect them all together. The anvil isn't fastened to the stand, just held in place by the two pieces of plywood on either side. The red magnet on the end of the horn there deadens all the ring. The garage door is always open when I have the forge going for ventilation. There's a sheet of plywood behind me when I work because the wife is scared of sparks flying everywhere.

17240242_10202920368725561_2212697378961

17240486_10202920367965542_1792488145423

Forge - 2 burner propane farrier's forge. I should have done more research before I bought it. The side entry is problematic for the metal stock I'm working with and generally I'm only able to utilize 1 of the burners.
My belt sander is there on the right as well. I just bought a cheap one to get me by until I decide this is really for me, and then purchase something more substantial or possibly build my own 2x72 grinder.

17311338_10202920368565557_4693979195999

Welder - I've never welded before. I've had this machine for about a week now, but haven't tried it yet. It's been taunting me every day...maybe tonight I'll give it a shot.
It's a flux core only MIG welder. And of course, an easily accessible fire extinguisher.
You can also see a blurry bit of my first forging project on the workbench. Tongs!

17310074_10202920368045544_7942127746332

My drill press is on a truck to be delivered any day now, then I'll have all the basics I need.
Let me know if anyone sees any safety hazards or something stupid I've done in the pics please!

Thanks all!

Welcome to IFI Caleb.  When you get a chance, add your location to your profile so when you start asking questions folks will know where your at to assist better. Who knows, you might even live near a member on here!. It looks like your getting your shop together nicely. Fire prevention is always key so it's good to see the extinguisher. As for the forge, you might be able to modify it later to open on the end.  There's a bunch of reading on here on forges, forge design, and materials.

6 minutes ago, CMS3900 said:

Welcome to IFI Caleb.  When you get a chance, add your location to your profile so when you start asking questions folks will know where your at to assist better. Who knows, you might even live near a member on here!. It looks like your getting your shop together nicely. Fire prevention is always key so it's good to see the extinguisher. As for the forge, you might be able to modify it later to open on the end.  There's a bunch of reading on here on forges, forge design, and materials.

Done...I'm in northwest Houston, TX but it doesn't want to update this post. I'll have to look into possibly modifying my forge, thanks!

2 minutes ago, beech said:

I assume you figured out that the computer probably will not be well served by hot steel...

Yeah, computers and heat don't mix. It's really just an mp3 player so not too worried about destroying it. :)

Thanks!

Looks like a farrier's forge; may want to see if you can trade someone it for one more suited for your use.

Also think about putting wheels on it and placing it outside when you use it, or having a fan to provide air exchange. I'd definitely invest in a CO meter to see if the open door is enough without something pushing air in/out!

Welcome Caleb! Looks like a decent setup. 

A couple of thoughts...

What do you need that welder for? You don't need one to make knives, and the thickest stock you can weld with flux core is about 1/8".

Also, if you are intending to bevel your knives with that 4x32 sander, I'll go ahead and burst your bubble. I would much prefer bevelling with just a file than with one of those. Good for handles, though.

All in all, I think your off to a good start. Be safe, and have fun!

41 minutes ago, ThomasPowers said:

Looks like a farrier's forge; may want to see if you can trade someone it for one more suited for your use.

Also think about putting wheels on it and placing it outside when you use it, or having a fan to provide air exchange. I'd definitely invest in a CO meter to see if the open door is enough without something pushing air in/out!

Yeah I thought about trying to sell/trade or maybe even use the parts from this one to build one that better suits my needs. I always have a box fan blowing air out of the garage while I'm forging, been wondering if that was enough ventilation. I'll have to get a CO meter to put out in my garage.

37 minutes ago, C-1ToolSteel said:

Welcome Caleb! Looks like a decent setup. 

A couple of thoughts...

What do you need that welder for? You don't need one to make knives, and the thickest stock you can weld with flux core is about 1/8".

Also, if you are intending to bevel your knives with that 4x32 sander, I'll go ahead and burst your bubble. I would much prefer bevelling with just a file than with one of those. Good for handles, though.

All in all, I think your off to a good start. Be safe, and have fun!

The welder is mainly for welding handles on the bar stock I'm working with so I don't have to fiddle with tongs the whole time, as well as making hardy tools (welding the shank to the tool). Also I'll need it to weld up stacks of steel for damascus billets eventually. I'm not trying to build any metal structures any time soon. :)

I wanted to go with a 220v stick welder, but I don't have any outlets in my house that provide enough amps, so I just went with the cheapest 110v they had. In my mind it's just temporary until I can get something with more capabilities...and have a proper outlet installed.

Thanks!

Welcome aboard Caleb, glad to have you. You're off to a pretty good start I don't think many if any of us who've been at this a while still use our first couple set ups. I know I have couple of my first forges collecting dust.

Keep things mobile till you find a layout that is comfortable for you and your projects.

Hang fire extinguishers by the exits NOT by the fire hazards say behind the kitchen range. It's sad to see the window of opportunity to extinguish a new fire close with the extinguisher plainly visible THROUGH the flames. Having them by the exits gets you moving the right direction and puts on at hand at the safest spot to use it. By window of opportunity, there's usually a short, sometimes VERY short period of time a person with an extinguisher can put a fire out before it gets away from you. Often it's only seconds long and you can't be reaching through a fire for the extinguisher.

If it's an attached garage put a CO monitor in the house, the stuff is insidious about finding paths into places you live. By preference I like a hot shop as a stand alone structure it keeps hazards isolated and away from where you sleep.

Yeah, there are much better sanders but it'll work for a while, a 2" x 72" belt grinder is a SWEET piece of equipment and as our club has discovered pretty darned easy to build. You need adequate shop skills though and a better welder.

Flux core is NOT mig, they're two entirely different types of wire feed welding. Flux core is a fine way to weld once you've developed the skills and will do most of what you need even if you have to chip and make multiple passes.

I have a Hobart 120 Handler a GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welder) a good 30+ years old The shielding gas I use is 75% argon and 25% CO2 or 70-30 depends on what's there when I exchange a bottle. Anyway, CO2 is not an inert gas so using any mix shielding gas with CO2 in the mix makes it NOT a MIG. (Metal and Inert Gas). Yeah, I'm being picky but having the terms and jargon right will save you time and confusion down the road.

Gotta go.  Frosty The Lucky.

18 minutes ago, Frosty said:

Hang fire extinguishers by the exits NOT by the fire hazards say behind the kitchen range. It's sad to see the window of opportunity to extinguish a new fire close with the extinguisher plainly visible THROUGH the flames. Having them by the exits gets you moving the right direction and puts on at hand at the safest spot to use it. By window of opportunity, there's usually a short, sometimes VERY short period of time a person with an extinguisher can put a fire out before it gets away from you. Often it's only seconds long and you can't be reaching through a fire for the extinguisher.

Flux core is NOT mig, they're two entirely different types of wire feed welding. Flux core is a fine way to weld once you've developed the skills and will do most of what you need even if you have to chip and make multiple passes.

I have a Hobart 120 Handler a GMAW (Gas Metal Arc Welder) a good 30+ years old The shielding gas I use is 75% argon and 25% CO2 or 70-30 depends on what's there when I exchange a bottle. Anyway, CO2 is not an inert gas so using any mix shielding gas with CO2 in the mix makes it NOT a MIG. (Metal and Inert Gas). Yeah, I'm being picky but having the terms and jargon right will save you time and confusion down the road.

Gotta go.  Frosty The Lucky.

Great point, I'll move the fire extinguisher to a more logical location!

I must have gotten confused by looking at the welders that are MIG and flux core capable...just assumed it was basically the same thing. I really didn't want to have to deal with any bottles of gas which is why I went purely with the flux core machine. I was probably a bit too hasty in the welder purchase, but I'm sure it'll get some use.

No worries about being pedantic, I appreciate it. I like to get the details correct myself! :) 

• 2 weeks later...

Awesome setup man! It's taken me close to 3 years to get even close to that far along. But I have built a 2x72 and love it. If you build one, you'll regret not doing it sooner. "Screw a bench grinder! lol". I built my first anvil stand almost identical to that(I'll try and post a pic) and it works great. That work bench though! That thing looks phenomenally sturdy and well built but please get it dirty so I can feel better about mine lol. Great design!

I would definitely modify that forge to suite your needs(which I'm guessing is knife making?) Edit- just read the first paragraph, I'm stupid lol

I too am in the Houston area(southwest), there actually seems to be quite a few amateur blacksmiths in this area. If you haven't already, check out the HABA-Houston area blacksmith association. I joined up last Sept and have really been and learning a lot. 

Anyways, forge on brother!!!

PS is that a bc rich behind the sander???

Sure would be cool to meet another metal head smith

221acb43-9bd9-429e-9cc6-9871b70be350.jpg

Awesome setup man! It's taken me close to 3 years to get even close to that far along. But I have built a 2x72 and love it. If you build one, you'll regret not doing it sooner. "Screw a bench grinder! lol". I built my first anvil stand almost identical to that(I'll try and post a pic) and it works great. That work bench though! That thing looks phenomenally sturdy and well built but please get it dirty so I can feel better about mine lol. Great design!

I would definitely modify that forge to suite your needs(which I'm guessing is knife making?) Edit- just read the first paragraph, I'm stupid lol

I too am in the Houston area(southwest), there actually seems to be quite a few amateur blacksmiths in this area. If you haven't already, check out the HABA-Houston area blacksmith association. I joined up last Sept and have really been and learning a lot. 

Anyways, forge on brother!!!

PS is that a bc rich behind the sander???

Sure would be cool to meet another metal head smith

I'm with you on the 2x72 grinder. I can't wait, but I have to because I haven't learned how to weld yet. As soon as I get some welding skills the grinder will be my first big project I have planned. My little 4x36 is ok but I go through belts really fast and it heats my work (and fingers) up pretty quickly as well.

I've checked out the HABA website in the past but not lately...I'll go check it out again and sign up.

That is a BC Rich. Right next to my Randall half stack (big Pantera fan) that plays metal while I work on metal! :ph34r: