I Forge Iron

Patience pays out

KRS

I have been looking at used and new Blocks for quite a while.

New Blocks are ~1000€ for 400x400mm- biggest of-the-shelve Blocks I found. (15.75"x15.75)

Used I found where most of the time in fair price range, but I let them go simply because I managed to work around not having one.

Over time this created more and more individual tooling, but it takes time and money for material, fuel and welding.

Then I found this Block with a bad description (wrong keywords- it was pure luck that I found it) online for 200€

550x550mm 110mm thick.  (21.5"x21.5" .4")

6WuGz6e.jpg

Guess its about 200kg (440 pound) but I have not had it on a scale.

Its in perfect usable condition, only the smallest round hole was stuffed with slugs and bird poop welds. No idea why...

Now I only need a solid eye bolt mounted trough the roof to turn it on the edges

Thomas,

yes the stand was included.  Its well made, got some beef to it. Once I saw it in person I was glad to take it with me.

Frosty,

I gave it a try with a long pipe, but it didnt feel very secure. Almost tilted the stand. Maybe I need to work on my technique or it was the rust that prevented it from sliding on the base.

Another thing that made me think of the eye bolt is that it makes turning it easier, how I face the sides once turned up.

I want to turn it fast and easy and not think  "do I really have to"

For now I have a engine hoist nearby. But even folded it takes space and belongs in the other shop.

Bought one by your recommendation, great mobile tool to have around.

I am considering making two triangles to secure it on its front side when its standing up, other ideas?

Chris.

Stability on edge is an issue if the stand doesn't cradle it. I'd just C clamp it to the rim of the stand or put a bar through to the far side and clamp it down there. 

Tipping a block up with a long bar takes a little practice but once you get the hang of it it's a lot faster than wheeling the hoist over though maybe comes in second to using an overhead lift. 

ON the other hand if you wanted easy to move tools why'd you get into blacksmithing? :P

Frosty The Lucky.

Oh I think having some more chains around me fits the theme perfectly :)

I have lifted enough heavy stuff to appreciate every little help

I will give it try with a L shape pry bar trough one of the holes, that should do the trick for now.

the engine hoist is not a permanent solution, that´s for sure